The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
caludia

anyone got a sodium lamp for sale?

i was looking for a high pressure sodium lamp... does anyone have anything for sale? If so, please PM or email me... thanks.

[ 01. July 2005, 06:57: Message edited by: dodie303 ]

I know this is an old post but I thought I should mention that from my personal experiace Ive found that 2nd hand HPS lights tend to be a bad investment.

They tend to have all sorts of electrical issues and the bulbs they come with are usualy no good because one should replace them every 3 months anyway.

One I bought for $110 was fine until the 3 week or whatever warranty ran out and then the lowish buzz that worried me turned into a super loud buzzing noise that emerged after a couple of weeks, then it kept tripping the power and buring out bulbs so it had to be ditched.

Another one a mate bought amlost burned his house down.

Another thing to make sure of is that you clean the 2nd hand bulb really well with metho before turning the light on!

Recently a frined was in Cashie's and asked to turn one, the guy fliped the switch and the blub exploded and shorted out the shop. gave him a hell of a fright by the way.

My point being that after buying a new bulb ($60-$80) get it checked and or fixed by a sparky ($50-100) you may as well by a new one with a warranty and sales support.

However if your still keen, there are lots at my local pawn shops for around $90 (give or take $15) with shade etc.

Let me know if you want me to pick one up for you?

Guest d0tb0y

dont clean the bulbs with metho

clean them with as pure/low bp solvent as you can get. acetone or something.

metho leaves residue - oils and stuff that remain on the bulb are what cause the bulbs to heat up and pop...

Hm m, oh then, thanks.. I was told by the guy who owned the light shop I used to go to that I should use Metho and oily finger prints were the ones to reallly watch out for.

This was about 4 yrs ago now and Ive recently noticed that there are new additives to all the Metho available to me the main neew smell in it seems to be an orange extract of some form and it also feels oilier and grittier between the fingers.

I imagine there has been a LOT of chnages in OTC chems since I last checked into it.

Guest d0tb0y

the main adulterant in normal metho is methylisobutylketone and some bittering agents and florescents. The MIBK as a ketone should evaporate fairly quicky, but anyone who's ever tried a store-brand methylated spirits evaporation will know you end up with some wierd goop, even if you haven't extracted anything! :)

[ 04. July 2005, 15:51: Message edited by: d0tb0y/n00dle ]

That may be the case now but it certainly wasnt 3 or 4 years ago.

It used to eveaporate cleanly and was often used by underground chemists un recrystalisation.

i might as well jump in and give an update on how my lamps are going (or more precisely, how the plants UNDER them are going !)

i ended up with a bunch of lights, it's an embarrassment of riches (thanks, smogs & electro)

i am a total novice to growing plants under lights, so i am deep in learning mode.

Sassafras albidum - i put this under lights to stop it from going all yucky deciduous on my ass. The seed only came up in autumn u see. So far so good. The leaves are faded though, kind of pale-green, not the deeper green it was earlier. But so far the strategy has worked and it will be out in mother nature come Spring, to get some real sun & rain & wind

cebils - these grow spectacularly well under lights. i am surprised. To those who have bought a cebil from Guruna or otherwise have one, if you don't want it to lose its leaves over winter, wackit under lights. Don't worry bout heat as long as it's indoors (i'm in sydney, your mileage may vary). Mine have a temp of between 12 and 15 deg C all day during winter, and they are fine. It just wants the nice bright lights. All my outside cebils have gone semi-deciduous now; all the ones under lights are growing strongly.

red catha - successfully rooted 30 cuttings under lights so far, over June, not bad for winter.

vanilla - growing strongly in its own humidi-dome over a heat pad. These ones want some warmth.

bush raisins - growing ok, but the leaves are getting very curly, almost like it's getting too much light intensity. These bush raisins never cease to amaze me with their un-desert-like nature and general wimpiness. All they want is water and shade No deep tap roots either (at least in pots). How they survive in full sun at Tennant Creek is beyond me

There are plenty of things that haven't done well at all. For example, Artemisia herba-alba; Terminalia ferdinandiana (i think that was a case of too cold); Citrus australasica, and many others.

Like a poster in a previous thread advised me, it all depends on how your microclimates are set up. Basically i don't have the time to establish PERFECT microclimates, so part of the job is working out what likes the small range of climates i AM providing, and putting the rest back outside.

[ 05. July 2005, 21:09: Message edited by: MetalGuru ]

oh yeah i just noticed - no discussion, not even about trading.

what i say is, STICK IT TO THE MAN

MG, smogs just moved into a new house and has no interweb access, but I'll tell him you say thanks :)