The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Auxin

WinMX Lives!!

Contrary to widespread reports of the P2P file sharing program WinMX being taken down it does indeed live on.

5 days ago winmx was forced by the RIAA (those recording industry guys that piss and moan so much) to unplug its peer cache and http servers, a move the RIAA was sure would mean the demise of the community of over a million people. In the days since then the winmx community has shown just how strong of a community it is. Programmers, hackers, crackers, and thousands of ordinary users banded together to save it- setting aside any long standing grudges they may have had to get the job done.

A great many people use winmx to chat with friends and to share public domain files, anyone who beleives in personal freedom must see that the RIAA had no right to force a network that was being used lawfully by so many to shut down.

New peer cache servers (Not affiliated in Any Way with the company that had developed and maintained winmx) are now in place and users, with a simple patch, can log on to the network :)

Instruction for getting winmx running on your computer can be found here http://www.vladd44.com/mx/peercaches.php

The RIAA said WinMX must go, the WinMX community said HELL NO!!! Its a beautiful thing :D

Yeah I haven't been connected in bout 6 days.

But wouldn't the value of winMX go down because it now requires a patch to run properly, I mean, the more people who use it the better right?

personally i hate P2P, i use java now.

but i remember back in the when WinMX was the best! ya could find everything back then, i havnt used it or any P2P since. im glad to see it rise from the ashes. :D

onz:

Yeah I haven't been connected in bout 6 days.

But wouldn't the value of winMX go down because it now requires a patch to run properly, I mean, the more people who use it the better right?

Indeed,no one can pretend this didnt hurt the winmx community bad- and, unless frontcode starts hosting winmx again from the third world, it may be some time before the number of users is back where it was but the patch is not very difficult to figure out and this has shown just how strong a community it really is :D