The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Plant Pimp

PM (Jean Chrétien) Inflames Marijuana Opponents

Source: CBC

Ottawa -- Prime Minister Jean Chrétien is coming under heavy criticism for some off-the-cuff remarks he made about smoking marijuana. Chrétien has always said he's never smoked pot, but on Friday he said he might consider it. "I never tried it. I said I might be able someday to do it," he said.

Chrétien was more specific in an interview with a Winnipeg newspaper. "Perhaps I will try it when it will no longer be criminal," he said. "I will have my money for my fine and a joint in the other hand."

Chrétien was referring to proposed legislation that would decriminalize marijuana. People caught with 30 grams or less would be subject to a fine, not a court appearance or a criminal record.

But the government is also trying to deter young people from smoking marijuana. Canadian Alliance MP Randy White, who is also vice-chair of the House of Commons drug committee, says Chrétien's comments are counter-productive.

"To suggest to our young people that you can just start smoking marijuana, and just pay the fine and be done with it, is just irresponsible," said White.

Alberta Solicitor General Heather Forsyth has fought against decriminalization, saying it will encourage organized crime.

"I think it's a terrible message to send to our young people in this country. I think it's a terrible message to send to our young people, period."

Source: Canadian Broadcasting Corporation

Published: October 3, 2003

Copyright: 2003 CBC

"Alberta Solicitor General Heather Forsyth has fought against decriminalization, saying it will encourage organized crime. "

I am nearly wetting myself...... how stupid can people be? The opposite has been proven time and time again. Every prohibitionist even knows it - which doesn't stop them from deluding themselves into thinking that they can control the crime.

Yeah, but these people aren't held responsible for their comments - they can just say that, without giving any evidence, and the quotes will be everywhere - "decriminalization encourages organised crime, says government spokesperson" - A number of people will believe that, and the mean brain use will decrease slightly.

Rinse & Repeat.

:mad: irritating fools (them, not you :) )...