The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
orsolya

Identification and help neede

I have these cacti for at least 5 years. They have been together with other succulents in a huge flat pot. Why is the big one so yellow, what are they and how could I make them happier. I repotted them in a separate pot hoping that they will recover. I was told by the garden centre guy that a mixture of mulch and good potting mix should be all right.And that there is no need to fertilise.

You seem to be experts, plese help. I don't want my plants to suffer because of my ignorance.

Thank you and cheers! normal_Cactus1.jpg

normal_Cactus2.jpgCactus3.jpg

for a mix you probably want more drainage then "good potting mix and multch" and they do need fert, especially the faster growers.

What is the pH?

Do you have hard water? (water with Ca and Mg salts in it)

What are you feeding them?

I guess the tap water should be hard in Adelaide.(I haven't got a watertank). The PH of the garden soil is strongly alcaline, but i never use that soil for my pots, i use good quality potting mix for them. As for feeding i just use general slow release fertiliser.

I like hard water. The water I use is around pH 8.

I use a mix of half compost, half perlite, with a bit of agricultural lime and a bit of Diatomaceous Earth. The compost I use is organic and has no peat.

I don't really want to tell you to do what I do. We all do best with a bit of advice and a lot of personal effort and experimentation.

Here is a group shot of some of my plants. Many of them are in the mix I mentioned above, and they are all in plastic pots. I feed them alternating solutions of 15:30:15 and 20:20:20 with some ammonium sulfate in late summer all diluted to around 1/4-1/2 teaspoon per gallon.

gallery_4836_65_396084.jpg

I think good drainage, good air holding properties and a high cation exchange capacity with adequate nutrition including Ca, Mg and N, as well as a complete macro and micro: are some of the keys to my own success. Of course I am always learning and would love to hear the suggestions of others as well.

[ 13. September 2005, 02:56: Message edited by: Archaea ]

i use debco cacti and succulent mix with good results.

i think the top one is a cereus peruvianus and the bottom left a prickly pear (dont know botanical name) cant help with the bottom right. dont take this as gospel tho as im far from an expert.

is the one on top getting a nice amount of sun? as you've recently repotted im guessing there wasnt any mold or rot, so maybe light or fert levels. ive never ferted my cacti as i was told they shouldn't need it for a year or so with the potting mix i use, i think ill start soon tho so if people could post some advice on ferts it would be much appreciated.

i do believe youre correct benz, a little google suggests that 'prickly pear' actually represent about a dozen types of opuntia, i think its one of em :)

yeah new soil and pots for sure

cut a good quality potting mix with riversand

and compost - the latter 2 from a landscape suppler for cheapnmness

1/3 each

feed with anything and everything

some slow release like osmocote plus some seaweed, some urine ( yeah piss.. trichs love it) or urea or ammonium sulphate - i do avoid nitrates as a source of nitrogen these days . some cow manure tea

and a good well rotted compost

a bit of everything really..

i dont use dynamic lifter as it supports strange fungal happenings