The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
strangebrew

removing pups

What size do you think is best for removing Trich. cacti pups for transplanting? The bigger the better? I've read one article that recommends they should be at least 6 inches for quick rooting.

I've got a 2 inch pup coming of a 2 inch slice that shows no signs of rooting any time soon and am wondering whether to remove it or not.

[ 25. January 2005, 18:01: Message edited by: strangebrew ]

i would remove this pup,

but i would leave parts of the pup behind, so new pups will form.

meaning you cut the pup so you take 3/4 and leave 1/4 behind (the bottom of the pup).

this stump will produce the next load of pups.

5cm is rather small but never the less an allright size for a cutting.

10 to 15cm is proly better.

allways use young growth for probagation if possible, the older the tissue the slower it forms roots.

Just thought I'd bring back this thread instead of making a new one.

I need to slice off a pup and was wondering the proceedure for transplanting the 'disk' sliced off into new soil.

Just need info on soil mix, hygene, pretreatments (i.e. fungicides) and most importantly whether I am supposed to let the surface callous over before potting as done with cuttings.

Peace...

Chris.

I ran into a decumbent growing Trichocereus the other day while out and about and I really wanted a clipping of it. Unfortunatly a clipping wasn't going to be possible so I grabbed onto a 2cm x 2cm pup turned clockwise and ripped the little thing off. The base of the pup is all mangled, but I have no concerns about it. It will root with ease.

Here's a photo of mom. It wasn't one of these pups I took either, but one much smaller and a little more inconspicuous.

~Michael~

post-19-1129114557_thumb.jpg

Do you guys usually cut or just snap off Trichocereus pups? It seems like mine could be easily snapped off the mother, but Im not sure if it will be harder than it looks.

Well in my case the pup is growing from where a cutting was taken previously, and I remember a great thread on EBA (still having withdrawals since it's been down) that went into detail about pups and propagating them. There was something about slicing a disc from the stump with the pup attatched to it and rooting the disc rather than rooting the pup itself. Due to my impatient nature (and the fact that I have another pup on a rooted midsection waiting to be cut off) I decided just to give it a try with this one... so I'm going to wait until later today until the surface of the disc is a bit drier and chuck it into a sandy mix and just mist around the base. I may dust with a hormone powder just for the sake of it, and as it's in a protected environment under HPS it should hopefully root in no time.

Personally I'd feel terrible about snapping the pup off... I'd rather have a toe cut off with a razor sharp blade then have it ripped off ;).

Well it's the first I've heard of the disc method - what are the advantages?

A cleanly detached pup will be ready to root much quicker than a cut disc, I'd be giving that disc of yours a couple of weeks to dry rather than a couple of hours.

Some species of Trichocereus branches detach easier than other's, with some a knife is a necessity but even the messiest, jagged break will usually grow if given warmth/sunlight to aid healing.

The disc is only about 1cm thick if that... it was cut with a scalpel (sp?), the bottom given a light mist of a sulphur spray after cutting, and it was allowed to dry a bit over night. In combination with a light rooting powder (just for the sake of it), a suitable mix I made, and for it to be watered by misting around the base for the next couple of weeks, I think it should be going in no time at all.

Dunno the advantages really, bit of an experiment, but wouldn't a wider piece of cacti form stronger roots faster than a lil pup???

Just out of curiousity, do cacti root from the 'nodes' like vascular plants???

I am probabaly incorrect but I think you may have gotten the idea slightly backwards.

I believe one is meant to leave a small disk of the pup (with areol/s) on the mother so that it can also pup as well as the main branch creating more pups + lateral bushy growth. rather than jst slicing it off at the very base in which case, itll jst callous, heal and thats it.

IIRC it was the ever knowledgable Planthelper that pointed this out while ago. there were some of Rev's pictures in the thread as well which showed what he was talking about.

I jst did this on a T.B.M today.. B)

Ahhh, that sounds more like it, now I'm beginning to see the light,

I's remember that method. :)

'Save as' is a wonderful thing. ;)

Yeah, that sounds a bit more correct. I gave the pup away so we'll have to see how it goes.

Damn I miss EBA :(.