The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
philistine

Substituting Pereskiopsis with Crassula sp.

Has anyone heard of/tried substituing Pereskiopsis for Crassula sp. for use as seedling grafting stock?

Im not that familiar with Crassula species names, but Ive seen some that have very similar growth forms and their vigorousness and hardiness have led them to becoming classified as an environmental weed in Australia.

I know (should say I think) they're not technically cacti so maybe they're not compatible for use in cactus grafting....

Anyone?

Personally, I don't think it would work, because Crassula's aren't cacti, however I did read once there were a few exceptions, although I'm not sure if they involved Cactacae or some other succulents. Give it a shot if you've got nothing to valuable to lose, strange things are always possible. Have you tried using Pereskiopsis before? I'm going to begin experimenting with it once my exams are over...

C M: Have you tried using Pereskiopsis before?

Nah, I don't know how to get any... anyone wanna fill me in?

Once again, sorry if thats already been covered on this forum...

That was pretty much the problem that spawned the idea of a Crassula substitute... but I reckon if it worked, it would work really well, after dissecting a few, Ive found that some are really juicy and sticky and the vascular ring is quite small but easy to see...

Ive killed a few too many seedlings with these frankenstein experiments lately tho.... But I think my main problem is that my hands shake.... might stick to something thats already been done..... something that works :D

[ 05. November 2004, 17:23: Message edited by: philistine ]

My first two experiments with it were failures, but both due to poor planning or dropping it :(

If you havn't already, try grafting some larger (than seedlings) cacti onto the more common stocks. I use Trichocereus spachianus, and have a very high success rate 85+% with my sloppy technique. Not the best looking stock, but it sure makes them grow fast. I replied to you PM.

Jon

Crassula likely would not be compatable at all with Cactaceae for grafting. For seedlings you can use Selenicereus and Opuntia. I have even even used Rhipsalis with some success. Aporocactus might also be a good candidate for seedling grafting. I'm waiting for someone to try and graft to Pereskia.

~Michael~