The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tomtom

cactus for hangovers.....

This's why I drink Coopers' exclusively.

NO PRESERVATIVES

That and the hangover cure's in the sediment

arnt hangovers also caused by the long chain alcohols and phenols present due to improper break down of glucose... which can be minimized but not avoided

i also find it interesting that you ferment spirits and beer in exactly the same way... but leaving methanol on ths spirits is BAD yet its ok to leave it in beer?

presumable its the same ratio of methanol to alcohol content... just methonol gets higher concentration as does alcohol.

I'm guessing OFI stands for Opuntia ficus-indica. You could probably just ferment the fruit and then the cure would be found in the drink itself, much like mescalito's cooper's theory. Or you could keep the peel in the fridge or dry it for subsequent use once the brew has ripened. I'll try and keep this one in mind next time I'm eating Opuntia fruits and find myself with a mouthfull of prickles - its an antiinflammatory, so just eat more! Nature's a funny thing at times - look at stinging nettle: the juice extracted from the plant can be applied to treat the sting from the hairs on the leaves and stems. It would be interesting to see how Opuntia compares to standard antiinflammatories as a treatment for hangover and for other indications where reduction of inflammation is necessary.

[ 28. October 2004, 13:18: Message edited by: spaced ]

smogs:

i also find it interesting that you ferment spirits and beer in exactly the same way... but leaving methanol on ths spirits is BAD yet its ok to leave it in beer?

presumable its the same ratio of methanol to alcohol content... just methonol gets higher concentration as does alcohol.

So true

And spaced it doesnt end there

how about Mexican poppy

A plant with spines that pierce the skin and dslodge easily causing painful irritation with the threat of secondary infection

In the seeds and seedpod are sanguinarine and antibacterial alkloid, but carcinogenic, however the alkaloids in the latex of the aerial parts have cancer preventing activity and anaesthetic qualities

The enzymes in the raw latex are also proteolytic and can be used to eat off warts and /or the roough bits left after spine extraction

A nice balance

I just tried havesting some Opuntia ficus fruits with leather gloves an then tried running throught a juicer.

I got some microspines in me for my trouble.

I think I will make a wine out of them by squashing using a wooden post, fermentation time definitely.

take the skin off first mate using knife and thongs! those spines will irritate you otherwise for days on. :mad:

wait till they are soft, than the skin and spines will come off easy.

i once ate very delicious and refreshing opuntia fruits in south america, but for obvious good reasons (cacti fig plague), i have never encountered a food grade opuntia fruit yet in oz.

[ 29. October 2004, 14:45: Message edited by: planthelper ]

can u dump them in boiling water for a few seconds to get the skin to break and seperate... same mehtod you use to peel tomatos?

ive never had 1... i want to but i never see any plants when in fruit!

It might destroy the vitamin C content, smogs, if there was any, which I imagine there would be. What if you were to roll the fruit around in hot ashes briefly to singe the prickles before consuming?

using the blow-torch things, sure they're good for brulee, but just toast it over a gas stove, same as capsicum / eggplant, then leave it it a plastic grocery bag til it cools - helps to sweat off the skin, then peel

i doubt that blanching it like tomatoes would be that detrimental to vitamin content

[ 30. October 2004, 17:12: Message edited by: coin ]