The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
philistine

Pleiospilos question...

hi all,

Ive got this awsome Pleiospilos nelii about the size of a tennis ball that I bought for $5 about 3 months ago from a nursery (bargain! :D ) that kept all their cacti indoors.

As its been getting warmer, ive been gradually adjusting it to more light, but its started to get this faint pink/orange tinge about it, it still looks plump and healthy, but when I bought it it was really green.

Is this normal? Or should I move it to a shadier spot?

Very sure its a root problem.

I bought several at walmart. Over watering is one problem, but lack of a draining soil is the real culprit. In many bought cactus vermiculite is a major component in the soil mix. Can generate problems if the enviromental conditions are changed.

Anyway greenhouse plants are probably treated with a systemic fungicide when that runs out the plant is lujnch for fungous.

Hmmm, I think it's too much light.

They like it warm but not with direct sun-light, particularly in spring/summer.

I've had one slowly growing inside with no direct light whatsoever and it doesn't seem to mind.

Just don't overwater it.

In most chain-store garden-centres, these generally seem to end up a soggy mess. :rolleyes:

The latest bunnings shipment of c&s had some pleiospilos so i grabbed 2

so this thread interests me

how similar is cultivation to that for Lithops?

when do they like water? in the cool in the warm months of just when they are forming new leaves?

Ive read somewhere, and I was vague, it was vague, :D (might have even been a post on here...?) anyway it said that they (Pleiospilos) prefer water during winter and early spring, getting less during summer.

The post said something about them drawing on reserves from the previous years leaves during the summer months?...

or something....? :confused:

I wrote this more to see if anyone here remembers writing this and if they could shed some light on the creature as I too know little (and/or nothing) about this species...

CHeers.

I think the post you're talking about was one on the Gardenweb cactus forum. There's not a lot of info. around on them.

That post recommended not to water them when the outer leaves are dying because it gets all the moisture it needs from those leaves. Makes sense to me!

I think in the past year I probably only gave it a dribble of water about 4 times.

Yeah, it's by far the best.

It's a pity so many pages don't have photo's yet.

The only other thing that annoys me a little is the ID grouping of plants. Just because a plant can be put under the same heading doesn't mean they look the same. Hopefully in the future maybe more pictures of various examples could be added.

But it is a fantastic resource to have at one's fingertips!