The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Plant Pimp

Cacti Shipping

Does anyone know if there are any problems with shipping bare rooted cacti or cuttings overseas?

Particularly Australia to Canada? I am mostly concerned with customs, quarantine, phytosanitation etc.

Are they only worried if there is soil with the plant?

Is an unrooted cutting still considered a live plant or a dead botanical specimen?

Also, I've noticed that SAB has posted an Only Available in Australia label on all Lophophora williamsii plants and seeds. Is this a banned export from Australia or something?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but any answers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

i presume the only in australia is becasue its banned in other countries (eg USA) so makes it easier to keep it local than risk getting in the poo

just a guess tho

I've sent plenty of Trichocereus cuttings to the US and Europe with no problems. All were correctly declared, all arrived on time and none even appeared to have been opened.

ed

Lophophora williamsii is actually a prohibited export species. This includes plants and seeds. Other species this applies to is Rivea, Argyreia nervosa, Papaver somniferum, Ipomoea violacea and a few others. And if you didn't think they would bust you then you are wrong. The reason why i stopped wasn't because the law says so (i also assumed they wouldhn't apply it), but because a friend of mine who sells vegetable and flower seeds got a full on customs and police raid for sending small packets of poppy seeds overseas. he isn't even interested in ethnobotany or drugs and they gave him a hell of a time and confiscated all his seed - hence ruining his business.

In a separate law, theoretically all mescaline and analog containing cacti (ie, all of them) are illegal exports, but they have to prove that first.

For private trades if you are not sure or have too many to give a shit or have time for anymore paperwork (adds another 20 mins to my post office visit sometimes)

just dont show ID and write your name in your very best scrawl

They may give you the hassle a bit but stand firm cos you dont actually have to - the only consequence is that they tell you it MAY be checked by customs or some tell you they cant tell you what might happen - its a big bluff and everyones taken it

Tell them you left licence at home, want to send it anyway and any delays dont bother you cos its not urgent and your too busy to come back later etc. which in my case is usually true

whatever - even when i do have my ID i dont give it - on principle (Dirty intrusive book stealin' duty chargin' customs MOfoes)

None of mine are checked and ive sent things that look pretty dodgy (but arent) like mycosyringes of oyster mushrooms or tubes with edible cultures inside

all have gone through unmolested

I intend to keep on doing this as it saves me HEAPS of time at the PO when i have lots of small parcels and does not slow the delivery down at all (Canada, USA, Brazil, Slovenia, Japan) i usually only put customs decs on the really bulky things but never ID verify

The other things they often dont ask for customs forms or ID on are CD and video boxes? dont know why but using them causes me less questions too when sending mycostuff o/s

Now im not sending dodgy stuff o/s anyway but the fact ive sent things that LOOK dodgy and they havent been queried is reassuring that the system is still working as inefficiently as it ever was! and that despite all the millions invested we still dont have to deal with any more red tape if we refuse to.

those sneaky bastards

i have been refused because i didnt have photo ID on me at the time

and also another time was sending a bloody business parcel and i needed proof i was from that company

sucks

just a side note.... evry1 shits themselves when white powder arrives in the mail... but its very possible for a nasty virus to be microscopic and all over a letter and not even see it... or some otehr clear poison... but no1 has noticed this?.

same thing with me smogs,

have been going to the same post office for ages for work, they know me, and they still want to check ID and won't let anything go without it. It's really frustrating, especially if you really did leave your ID at work.

re, microscopic, it's almost as if the mentality is 'if you can't see it, it's not there'.

Bit odd hey :)

They will try and bluff you but you have to stand firm that you want to send it non-verified anyway

They can be bossy bitches but they really do know the rules, or at least the postmaster/mistress will and admit it eventually.

The sign with the fed govt regs is worded in such a way it appears to be mandatory but if you look at it again its not

They try and bluff you and to get around them you need a similar self inflation (think cane toads) by showing that you know that they know that you really know what you are talking about

reshroomED:

I've sent plenty of Trichocereus cuttings to the US and Europe with no problems. All were correctly declared, all arrived on time and none even  appeared to have been opened.

ed

did you declare them as "cacti" or "botanical specimen"?

As I mentioned before somewhere, I wanted to send some cacti to relatives in germany but was told "live plants and plantmaterial" were a prohibited import...

so what should I declare them as?

herb tea?