The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Skulking Lurker

Proneness to fire

I have a couple of cacti growing in the ground, in an area that may at some stage soon, be subject to a 'clean up' burn.

Does anyone have experience with cacti and fire?

Obviously I can and will limit the amount of fuel around the specimens, but I'm also interested to know their level of vulnerability to fire.

There have actually been studies on this, don't have a ref though. But I'm sure that they probly wouldn't like to be TOO close to a fire, I know they can sunburn if you are careless. Sometimes i touch the skin of some of my more UNspiny friends and note that it is rather hot, but they seem fine. The growing tip is the most sensitive. Some are more resistant than others.

Jon

We had some peruvianus get badly burnt about %80 off each cacti, we had a bbq and some one threw all the charcoal whatever its called from the bbq in this dry grassy garden and the grass went up I knew I should have weeded it. Any way that was last summer and they are still kicking just badly scared but it was no bush fire.

Ill take some pics off them for show and tell.

Guest electro

i dont think they will be happy being backburnt... the roots may be fine, but the rest of the cactus ... hrm ... id dig them up & move them (taking the chances with disturbing the roots will be much better than being burnt alive i would think)...

but then, ive never set cactii alight so i cant be sure

Couldn't agree more...They'll get cooked. If digging them up is not an option(i.e. too much work, too big&heavy, can't be bothered)you should expect to end up with pretty disfigured if not dead cacti. I've burned a few in my live(mostly accidentally), some of them came back, some did not. I know it's a pain but as you probably know they transplant very well, and even if you chop all the roots of in a process at least you'll know they'll pull through very well. It's difficult for me to go into more detail as I have no idea what quantities and sizes we're talking about. Hope it all goes well for you.