The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
kitty

Rooting cacti

Hi,

I've been thinking of expanding my garden to include cacti, and noticed that many of the cacti that SAB sells are bare-rooted, so Iwas wondering how easy it is to get things like lophs and trichs to root?

thanks,

chris.

Dead easy

you can leave the things in a box and they will still develop roots.

yeah just leave them somewhere dry and out of the sun (like a box) until the cut bit forms a callous (i think this takes a week or so?) then poke a few holes in the bottom and stick it in cactus dirt and keep in the shade for a few weeks then slowly introduce it to full sun over a few weeks.

VERY easy

"poke a few holes in the bottom"

??? I hope you don't mean poke holes in the cactus? There would be no need for that. Poking a hole in the soil and setting the cutting there will work. I don't believe I've lost a cutting yet that was over a couple inches or so.

Stoney

And lay them on their side on top of the soil, and you will get pups sprouting upward.

May only get one pup, but can also be more.

I have a small unknown cacti about 4 cm long and quite thin, on its side, which is putting out 1 pup and it seems a new one might be emerging.

Stonehenge:

"poke a few holes in the bottom"

??? I hope you don't mean poke holes in the cactus? There would be no need for that. Poking a hole in the soil and setting the cutting there will work. I don't believe I've lost a cutting yet that was over a couple inches or so.

Stoney

yeah i read somewhere that this allows water and nutrients in more easilly from some cactus propagation page... so its incorrect? (im no expert)

it didnt seem to harm my pedros

Wow, thanks guys! (I can see all my money running away to catch up for keeping away from cacti...)

Does this also apply to lophs (wait for it to callous, then stick it in cactus mix)?

thanks.

[ 26. February 2004, 09:50: Message edited by: kitty ]

don't have any experience with loph cuttings, but it would be the same.

cut it, let it callous, stick it in DRY soil, bottom water it about a week later.

Smogs, punching holes in the bottom i feel would be an open invitation for rot, especially if it gets potted up with exposed tissue.

you wouldn't happen to have the link handy? sounds interesting, maybe there is something good about it.

(kitty check your pm)

[ 26. February 2004, 10:10: Message edited by: gerbil ]

no sorry it was on webpage that either sold cactus cuttings or an enthuist group or something cant remember

ive read a few different ones and they all seem to be slightly different.

cut, wait, stick seems to worm fine tho so why bother changing it

:)

Also remember that the roots grow in search of and not in response to water. So basically don't give the cutting much water at all until you are sure it has roots. An easy way to do this is slightly pull the cutting upwards, if there is resistance then there are good roots. If not, don't disturb for another week or so. Misting at the base of a potted cutting with a garden sprayer is supposedly helpful, it hasn't done mine any harm. I definitely wouldn't poke holes in the callous.

Jon