The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Rune

to 'waz', or not to waz?

what's the easiest way of identifying t.pach, or a similar mescaline-bearing cactus?

let's say you found a cactus growing just up the road that resembled t.pach (or at least, to YOU it does [being a complete cactus newbie]), and you cut of a good 60 cm and took it home, but after slicing a sliver off, and looking at the core, it now seems it may not be (because from rune's experience, the core of t.pach is quite tough and woody, whereas this one has a circular centre, but it is not really very 'woody')

also, the little spines (like t. pach), seem to be growing out of little grey 'mounds' (is this NOT like t.pach?)

after eating the little slice, and nearly retching, it is then decided that at least, yes, it would appear that we have definitely found SOME sort of a plant from the cactus family (so we can narrow it down that far)

one thing i'd like to know is - what would be the possible consequences of rune saying 'fuck it', and boiling this little mother up to give it a waz?

[ 17. February 2004, 11:11: Message edited by: Rune ]

Guest electro

death if you are unlucky ...(not likely but not woth the chance)

if you dont know what it is dont eat it.

it sounds like a cerrus of sorts ... they have grey ever so slightly fluffy mounds thatthe spikes grow from.... the ribs arent anywhere near as broad as the trich;s though...

the odd's are against you.

it's proly not the right one,

don't touch (i mean eat) the stuff!

Three options:

1. If I were you I would try to find a living specimen of a pach to compare to. You could try a cacti shop, I know a few places in Victoria that always have them in stock and on display.

2. If you have a digicam you could post a pic somewhere and ask real nicely for it to be identified.

3. But don't try eating the thing to find out, that's what our *dead* ancestors have done before us and may have died so that we wouldn't make the same mistake. If not, force feed it to your next door neighbours cat and watch it closely for the day. :)

My opinion is that it's probably a cereus cos they grow everywhere. Don't go on the core strength, it may change from specimen to specimen.

Jon

Hitting my MSSPhotography yahoogroup link below and looking around is about the easiest way to know if you have a T. pachanoi. You should get a good guide there on what to look for for ID'ing Trichocereus, but it is really not as easy as it looks when there are so many other cacti around that might look similar but fall into completly different taxa.

Post a picture here or somewhere else of this plant you are interested in an I will give a try at identifying it for you before you kill yourself, or at least possibly poison yourself.

~MIchael~

nahh, no good (the cat died)

but seriously though folks...

what are the 'main' things to look for as an identity procedure.

i have actually had t.pach from gomaos before, so i DO know a little about what to look for.

it's really quite funny, but i went to visit a friend today (not at all interested entheogens as her 'tool' for enlightenment [but of course, i'm 100% cool wid dat]), and she had some really big cacti growing in her yard, that said to me 'yep, that's DEFINITELY them', as from my memory they were completely indistinguishable from gomaos' i didn't say anything to my friend, i just quietly observed them, and thought 'definitely ask her for a cutting of that sometime soon'

should i give THESE ones a waz?

michael, your last message came in while i was typing my last one, so i've only just seen it. my dad has a digi camera, but i don't know how to load up a pic onto the site. can you help? (i sure as hell can't ask my old man)

[ 17. February 2004, 16:59: Message edited by: Rune ]