The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Shorza

Yet another cactus ID...

Agree, those "leaves" that disappear are typical on new stems of opuntia/cylindropuntia. No idea what type though.

Jon

Very sexy!

What do you say Mr Smith?

Will it fruit and has anyone tasted cactii fruit?

I have only tried the commercially available varieties of Opuntia (Prickly Pear) and Lemairocereus (? Pitaya in the shops?) and a "Dragon Fruit", whose identity I forget. Apart from a handful of species of Opuntia here in Spain and one in a plant shop that is all.

I recommend Prickly Pear (or Chumbo) juice. Can be made in a liquidiser as the pips are so hard (when fully ripe) that they do not break in a liquidiser. The Spanish all say that the fruit should be eaten when green, presumably because of the rock-hard seeds. But when it is fully ripe it is much sweeter. I would recommend adding a touch of lemon juice as it is a bit bland without.

I've got one - they're evil. These things reproduce by dropping stem segments which stick into feet so that they can be carried to distant places. Use it to guard windows to your house. If anyone does break in just follow the trail of opuntia's growing alongside the road.

Looks like a Opuntia (Cylindropuntia) tunicata in need of better light.

~Michael~