The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
reshroomED

Does size matter?

I've just come across some photos of a cutting that I sent to a mate in the US. Far left in the first photo.

Jethro1.jpg

Jethro2.jpg

Now, I plant all my cactus cuttings in the ground (bar a few that go into big (wide) pots as gifts -(old toilet bowls with a cactus growing from them make an excellent pressie), and never have seen this sort of tapering. I assume it's due to lack of root-growth/correct nutes but would be interested in anyone's opinion on this.

BTW that cutting was taken in March last year - 1m, 5"dia, 6 kgs, and the photos date 02/12/03 (12" from the base having been lost to rot plus enough for a bio-assay).

So, the question is are big cuttings a good idea?

ed

Insufficient light causes thin growth- My guess is the cactus in the picture is getting NO direct sunlight...

Agree,the new growth tip should be a bit greener looking.What's the mad looking one in the middle?

Looks almost like a Euphorbia - given a bit more sunlight this one might start to grow some green leaves around the top. It would be interesting to see if the plant produces any white sap - careful not to get any on the skin / in the eyes.