A_asterias_seedlings.jpg

Lophophora diffusa at 8 months old

L_diffusa.jpg

Lophophora williamsii 7months old

L_williamsii_2.jpg

Trichocereus pachanoi, all around 9 months old

T_pachanoi_2.jpg

T_pachanoi.jpg

All seed was started under small wattage fluro tubes, with heat pad. They have been outdoors ever since the weather has heated up (little over a month) All other seedlings are basically the same size as the ones in the pics. One of the other L. williamsii is showing quite distinct shaping, at this stage it looks like a classic yin yang sign, or 69 if you want, time will tell if it keeps the shape.

sorry for some blurry shots. enjoy :)

[ 05. January 2004, 10:34: Message edited by: gerbil ]

very nice cacti gerbil!! the lophs look great cant wait till mine are that old. what wattage of fluros did u use and wat light cycle when they were indoors?

TA, i had them under 36 watts of fluro, which would have been about about 10cm above the top of a yates humidity chamber. This was still too intense for any of the seedlings (even with paper screening the light in the cacti area). It was one of those batton 18w x 2 lights. Should have been much higher though i had no space.

Am building a new germination box so height is no worries soon :)

The lights were on 24/7 with a heat pad for germination and a bit of growth (air temp basically a constant 15C where they were)

Outside they are in complete shade (great companions for a lovely sage)

Visionary, they take off when you least expect it, it's alot of fun.

I too often loose myself in them after having a bit of a smoke and gazing at them with the good old magnyfying glass

very nice, I've got some young T.pachs and L.williams which are abit younger than that.

Out of interset did you have them in a humidifying tent? If so how long where they in it for?

They've been in one of those yates humidity chambers. Have been and still are from seed sowing, the air holes were closed and opened constantly depending on conditions whilst under lights. Now, outside, only the side vents are open constantly.

good luck with your seedlings.

looking good mike, hope they grow up to be some beauties.

Come to think of it, i'm pretty sure it was one of your seed starting threads at SPF a while back that started me growing.

And can't forget the 6ft monsters you have, they are really beautiful.

Will be starting hundreds of seeds (various species) soon, just sourcing seed from various places at the moment :)

any hints for growing loph seeds?

im having a bit of trouble

what would be a good soil temp?

also how lonmg should i expect to see them germinate from sowing

and what success rate do they have?

hi smogs,

i planted about 40 seeds 4 months ago & i've now got about 17 little baby lophs. I had a few more but a couple died. For the first few months I kept the soil temp at about 23-27 celsius with an electric blanket.

Some of mine took about 2-3 weeks to germinate.

yeah, bottom heat is definately beneficial for germination. Have had good success from 25-30 C.

Success rate will depend how viable seed is, fresher seed is better. Viability drops as they age.

In good conditions its about a 80% +

Keep seed moist during and after germination, gradually let them dry out more and more.

I've had some take about 4 days, up to 2-3 weeks.

cheers

yeah ive had great difficulty but havnt tryed heat yet

i have a reptile heat pad tho which i might try

thanks for the help

we all know that lops are, sort of slow growers.

but when they germinate, they are a far cry away from beeing slow in gaining size, i would say!

the embryo soaks up water so fast,

within a few day's they increase there volume by i guess a fifty or hundred fold!

"hydro" grown lops might grow faster,

and still avoid any problems assocciated with

overwatering and the like (fungi& rots).