The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ferret

dodgy Lophophora graft - help

hi all, i have a 2 month old Loph. graft on T.scop stock, that is _slowly_ growing but obviously hasnt made a very good vascular connection, others grafted at same time are booming along heaps better.

I am planning on detaching and then regrafting, but have been wondering: if i slice the Loph., but leaving a few mm's of flesh and some aereoles still attached to the stock, would it have the capacity to produce offsets? or is it more likely to just shrivel and die?

ferret, depending on how close you cut it would dictate if this small amount of material shrivles and dies or survives. A nice cut across this scion is going to open up a large surface area in which moisture will escape. I would suggest simply gently pealing off the scion (or cutting as close to the base plant) and attempting to re-cut the scion and re-graft if there is enough material to work with. Otherwise just remove the scion and let it heal over and then re-root.

If the scion on this original plant has taken, but not as well as others, I wouldn't worry too much. Over time it will likely do better and not die off. But if the scion doesn't appear to have taken in any fluids from the base and is already starting to shrivel then I would remove it as quickly as possible.

~Michael~