The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
t st tantra

sceletium seed pod warning

dont really know if this is true for sceletium but it certainly is for aptenia and some delospermas.

if mature seed pods get wet they open up and disperse their seed,so dont let them get rained on ,or spray water over the top of the plant!

after dispersing the seed they close again and the pod still looks ok but has few or nil seeds.

t s t .

but if you use a large enough pot, then all your seed is in the soil and will produce new plants

so, now that we all have seedpods, what the hell are we loooking at in terms of "seed pod valves"?

Torsten:

but if you use a large enough pot, then all your seed is in the soil and will produce new plants    

this is what i expected too,but it was not the case with a very large delosperma.there was some germination but i ended up with no new plants.there must have been over 100 pods on the plant.i'd like to understand what went wrong.

t s t .

selfseeding in the pots, no way jose,

the mother would smother everything,

no water, no light- no seedlings, but

might happen once in a while..

thx to t st, i got heaps of delosperma bosseranum seeds.

and to the topic seed pod valves,

eds has two leaves on the outer pod and two small ones on the top closing the capsule.

but my other sceletium plants flower pod has three leaves on the pod (forming the rosetta), plus the two closing the top... is this significante??

is this what was meant with valves??

seeds should never be allowed to stay in the dried pods for too long, fungi (specially after rain) could and will eat the protein rich endosperm....not to mention seed drilling insects of all sizes.

[ 17. November 2003, 10:09: Message edited by: planthelper ]

pleasant surprise,

this morning...

i guess a around a week ago i collected some t st delosperma seed pods and all i can say is that those seeds are very small...

i somehow don't like planting small seeds and often say to myselfe "i plant them later".

at this moment thou i just acted out of a notion and just sprikled the freshly haverested seeds over some pots containing cacti medium.

those pots were just leftovers from failed hoodia growing...

cutting the story short, today morning i noticed in one pot some 10 delosperma seedlings were coming up allready! cute little things.

i am not sure but it seems to be one of the pot's

"where the seeds didnt get covered with medium at all", other pots with seeds buried 2mm deep havent done anything yet!

so plant your delosperma bosseranum seeds straight on top!

germinating time around a week!

it's easy!