The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Felix

Ginger for potentiation and nausea

I have heard that certain cacticular concoctions can cause a fair amount of nausea to gnomey friends. Ginger came to mind as an obvious remedy. A quick search found this

"Ginger Tea - I have also heard reports that a strong tea made of ginger would potentiate the effects of mescaline. No further details available"

from the "Visionary Cactus Guide".

http://www.erowid.org/plants/cacti/cacti_g...ti_guide6.shtml

The guide also lists licorice Root, melatonin, and ofcourse harmala, moclobomide etc.

So, apart from the obvoius beta carbolines can anyone here confirm the usefulness of these aparent potentiaters? Any others that aren't listed here?

[ 12. October 2003, 18:45: Message edited by: Felix ]

Felix,

I know nothing about cacti, but I do have personal experience with ginger's potentiating effects. I discovered it totally by accident when a friend sent me some candied ginger, which I tried with black tea, coffee, clavohuasca, and kava.

The potentiation becomes readily apparent.

DRUID

Thats interesting, I haven't noticed anything myself, apart from the anti-nausea thing. I wonder whats in there? Mild MAOI?

GINGER

(Zingiber

officinale)

CHEMOTHERAPY-Reduced side effects (nausea)Probable, trials inconclusive *†D

GENERAL ANESTHETIC-Herb reduces after effects of anesthesia Nausea and vomiting

reduced *†D

WARFARIN(Anticoagulant)-Synergy, possible

increased coagulation Probable but studies

inconclusive *‡†

MANY DRUGS -May increase drug bioavailability Ginger increases gut absorption *‡

LOL,at last some more coumarin type stuff from someone else,maybe now interest will increase.thanx.

dont you mean coagulation inhibited?

t s t .

yep felix, that's exactly where i got it from.

cayenne pepper & chilli- which is why they often put it in combo herb drugs like that "Wyld for men"

more on ginger-

Inhibits thromboxane

synthetase; may have

additive anticoagulant,

antiplatelet effects

Ginger: Zingiber officinale (rhizome)

Used as an anti-emetic (carminative or digestive aid) and antimotion sickness cure

It contains volatile oils and an oleoresin (sesquiterpene hydrocarbons - zingerberene and bisabolene), which may cause oral and GI irritation.

It has a cholagogue effect so is contraindicated in gallstones, it inhibits platelet aggregation an thus is contraindicated with anticoagulants. Since it also increases Ca++ uptake it may alter channel blocker effects.

p.s-tantra, scuse my denseness, but what do you mean by "at last some more coumarin type stuff from someone else"--isn't coumarin an organic poison?- check the link for a weird story.

http://medicolegal.tripod.com/coumarin.htm

[ 15. October 2003, 07:25: Message edited by: nabraxas ]

As well as the chili, black pepper, Piper nigrum, is also used for potentiation of medicines. A powerful extract is sold as such by Sabinsa but a little powdered pepper would do. The milder long pepper (Piper longum), black pepper and ginger are used together in Ayurveda as Trikatu ( = three pungent spices) to increase the effects of a wide range of medicinal formulae. It also used as a digestive tonic.

The MAOI effects of certain components of liquorice are not a myth. Probably the best form to try it would be a deglycyrrhiz(in?)ated extract as glycyrrhizin is not active as an MAOI and has some harmful effects when taken long-term. Do not take liquorice tea every day - as Solgar say;

"High dose usage of non-deglycyrrhised licorice may cause an accelerated excretion of potassium and retention of sodium, and thus should be avoided if suffering with high bood pressure or oedema unless under medical supervision. Increase in the intake of potassium-rich foods is recommended if using non-deglycyrrhised licorice regularly."

In Chinese herbalism it is noted that a lesser dose of ephedra is needed when it is taken with liquorice.

Cayenne pepper on its own in high enough quantities gives me a buzz

So does 'licorice candy' actually contain licorice or is it artificial?

Tyrosine looks interesting as well as its available in pill form (L-tyrosine)

is that icon angry or embarassed,red faced and sad,i meant embarassed anyhow!

sorry,nabraxas,i misread your post to say the effects were like warfarin[ratsack/antistroke medication] of anticoagulation.my interest in this is based on the use of coumarin containing justicia species as additives to virola snuff and by itself as a snuff,i could go on a bit,but its off topic.search for coumarin in ethnobotany if your curious.

t s t .

[ 19. October 2003, 10:49: Message edited by: t st tantra ]

ok tst, that clears that up.

felix- when buying liqourice look at the ingredients. virtually all liquorice products use aniseed as a flavouring. on the ingredients list, ov stuff you want to buy it should say 'liquorice extract' & it sholud be listed before the aniseed.

what exactly looks "interesting" about L-tryosine?, which i believe is sold as a cure for cold sores or a way to stimulate children's appetites.

Its been mentioned before, not sure about the mechanics of it but...

"L-Tyrosine is a necessary amino acid in the production of neurotransmitters including epinephrine, norepinephrine, and dopamine. L-Tyrosine also appears to have a mild stimulatory effect on the central nervous system."

The taste of licorice/aniseed doesn't agree with me - give me chocolate any day.