The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Nick

grafting lophophora

G'day, does anyone know the best type of rootstock to use for grafting a Lophophora williamsii onto? Should I use a T. pachanoi or a Myrtillocactus, or something else?

from Nick

The rootstock should be a fast growing columnar cactus.. T.pachanois or T.scopulicola are generally used to graft Lophophora but i'm sure Myrtillocactus would be fine too...

try www.sphosting.com/cactus

for some good grafting info

Agree with you on that Mesq, am currently doing grafting comparisons with T. scop vs Myrtillocactus vs plain old pups in pots.

Should have results in a year or two, but T scop currently winning in terms of size

I have done a lot off grafting over the years and I have noticed the best results for me are Trichocereus spachianus (golden torch) and Myrtillocactus (blue Myrtle) The take rate is far better then others I would use pedro and scopys as my second choice. I have noticed that the grafts done a few years back on the spachianus are winning the size race. Can be hard to obtain enough Myrtillocactus.

And I have found Trichocereus peruvianus does not work to well.

That’s just from my experience :)

Cheers, I'm going to give it a try. I've got a blue Myrtil and some golden torches that could be used as a rootstock, I'll have to give it a shot.

carpetclown:

I have noticed that the grafts done a few years back on the spachianus are winning the size race.[QB]sure do!!! i put on a peas size loph 3 months ago and its grown very fast and pupped already

(see picture below)

[QB] Can be hard to obtain enough Myrtillocactus.

Isnt that the truth.

http://www.shaman-australis.com/publicpics...hspachianus.jpg

[ 30. April 2003, 19:13: Message edited by: reville ]

so if i grafted a pea sized loph onto san pedro for eg? what kind of growth could i expect?

my gnome is gunna grow himself some without grafting but he also wants some to grow reasonably quick.?

silent_bob84au:

my gnome is gunna grow himself some without grafting but he also wants some to grow reasonably quick.?

grafting lophs is great fun and they look shit hot but size is not important because it still takes 10 to 15 years for the alkaloids to build up, kind of like a good port really.

silent_bob84au:

so if i grafted a pea sized loph onto san pedro for eg? what kind of growth could i expect?

You have to compare the size of the scion (the peyote) to the size of the rootstock they should be around the same size...just makes it easier to align the vascular rings.

quick is good - if like me you have no intention of ever eating them

my pic was peasized when it went on and single - that pic was at just 3 months - im sure i could do better too.

I read on erowid? about japanese grafters getting loph from seed to flowering in 18 months?

searching....

'Peyote is easily cultivated and is free-flowering. On the other hand, one must be very patient if he wishes to grow peyote from seed, as it may take up to five years to obtain a plant that is 15 millimeters in diameter. At any stage, however, peyote can be readily grafted onto faster-growing rootstocks, and this usually triples or quadruples the plant's rate of growth. Japanese nurserymen, for example, have obtained peyote plants large enough to flower within a period of 12-18 months by grafting the young seedlings onto more robust root stocks.'

this is good news as you can play with forms and hybrids n stuff - I just bought a mammilaria heyderii

damn shoul dhave picked up that bocasana

'Of interest is that L. williamsii has been successfully crossed with Mammillaria bocasana and M. zeilmanniana. The former producing plants with a distinctly more tuberculate form, the latter producing plants with dark red flowers. Lophophora flowers are very structurally similar to Mammillaria flowers, and an interesting speculation might be that L. williamsii var. decipiens is a natural hybrid between L. williamsii and a Mammillaria species.'

http://www.cactus-mall.com/mss/#42

Anyone know the hardyness of Lophophora's when grafted?

I have a couple grafted on T. pachanoi and M. geometrizans and kept outside. It is getting cold now (victoria) and I was wondering if I should start taking them inside?

I guess I'm probably limited by the stock cactus' cold hardyness, right?

Ed Dunkel:

It is getting cold now (victoria) and I was wondering if I should start taking them inside?

Stop wondering and take them inside, i lost a grafted loph (pachanoi) last year to frost and cold and had a single loph starting to mush up this year until it came inside

They still look very healthy and plump on top of T. pachanoi and M. geometrizans. They even seem to still be growing (the T. pach grafted one especially)

Your right, I shouldn't risk it.

They are going in tonight.