The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ramon

Swapping Pollen

Guest Ramon

Anyone interested in trying to swap pollen for cacti

Guest reville

yes. if , no , when any of mine flower ill post.

Penis plants...

De-flowering...

E D tongue.gif

ps. but seriously now, were does your pollen come from, as in what cactus of course! biggrin.gif

HIya, My t.pachanoi has 2 buds formin on it... my be able to sacrifice a few anthers...

Guest Ramon

I know I am a depraved character but I am sure all my neighbours would tell you

he was such a quiet fellow wouldn't have thought he would hurt a fly.

As far as the pollen the flowers I have witnessed have a tall part in the middle which is the male part and around this is a whole heap of little stalks which I believe are called pistils. The pollen is on the pistils and when I try to hand pollinate a plant I pich a few and dab them on the middle bit.

I shall do a bit of work and create a new article which will hopefully explain this with diagrams.

I am told that pollen will store for a while if kept in freezer and dry

Just use a soft artists brush to pollinate. use only once per season - don't know how long pollen stays active for, but one season seems enough to kill it.

I have Trich scop, Trich tersheckii, Trich huascha and an unknown Trich that will flower between 1 and 5 weeks. I will collect pollen from all and would like to swap as much as possible.

Dutchie - I need that pachanoi pollen PLEASE! Want to do a pachanoi X scop cross.

To collect pollen just shake the flower into a paper bag. Make sure the flower is dry (don't leave outside as dew will settle). Pollen is quite visible and you will see when it is being produced most. usually 3-5 hours after opening it peaks, which is usually about 2-4am (trichs are nightflowering). Use a brown or darker paper bag so you can see the pollen. Try to collect from only one plant per night to avoid contamination. Seal the paperbag and keep in a cool dry place. Label it!!

It is best if people who want to participate announce the flowering a few days before it happens, so that other parties can respond on the forum in time.

Guest Ramon

Torsten how about just plucking the pistils (if that is what they are called) and storing this. This would seem to be easier although I don't know if this causes any sort of problems.

I have a L.williamsii that will be flowering soon. The same one in the photo's in this forum.The second flower this year.

Lophs are self fertile, so you would want to keep that one! Just fiddle in the flower with a paintbrush and you shall get seed smile.gif

Yes, cutting out the stamen is one way of getting the pollen, however by the time you cut it, the vibration will have knocked off most of the ripe pollen. As the stamen then dies fairly rapidly, it will not produce a lot more fertile pollen. Whatever yellow dust you get in the bag will be mostly useless stuff.

The paintbrush thing is really easy if the flower is dry. The flowers are usually at an angle, so it is easy to knock the pollen off onto the petals and to sweep them into a bag from there. You can also lie the plant on it's side (size permitting) and place a sturdy paper bag underneath the flower overnight. Just knock the flower in the morning and close up the bag. This gives the best yields!

I've got some Astrophytum flowering at the moment - might be a bit late for pollen swap. But the gymnocalyciums are just about to open up as well.

[This message has been edited by Torsten (edited 13 November 2000).]

I should also mention, that my terscheckii buds have just stretched the other day and will start to flower within 5-10 days I presume.