The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest jessie

Peyote

Guest jessie

Some bastard of an insect has eaten a generous bite of one of my little friends! One I've been growing for years now has about a quarter missing. I wonder what happened to the poor creature (slug, snail?). Imagine eating a peyote button as big as yourself...

Guest mulga

Funnily enough I have had something take a munch out of some little buttons as well. I ended up thinking that it was actually some sort of bird that was coming along and nipping bits of it.... no idea why.

Guest Ramon

In my cases it has generally been slugs and snails.

I don't think that it hurts them all that much because in one cases it came back night after night. Taking out 3 small pups before I decided to use snail baits.

Yeah, same thing happened with the baby buttons and with the mother. Damn hungry slugs and snails.

I don't think it seems to effect them as I have seen big snail tracks on some wild P.cubensis. Maybe they store it (like they do with most plant poisons) before they purge it.

I'm thinking peyote "poison" filled escargot in garlic sauce. Or other "poisons" wink.gif

E D

[This message has been edited by Ed Dunkel (edited 11 July 2000).]

sometimes the damage isn't such a bad thing ... slugs or snails munched on a grafted button (about 1cm diameter) and in the following weeks it threw out a pup smile.gif

happiness

earthalchemist

I hve several mouse tooth marks in one of my Lophs. It seems they never took the bite though. Something must have stopped them while sinking their teeth in and they just withdrew again. the marks heal over in a few weeks, but the critters try again and again. never actually taking any of the cactus out.

Guest The Ballistic Fiejoa

perhaps the mice have been logged onto shaman australis recently doing a bit of late night reading. biggrin.gif