The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Auxin

T. pachanoi right?

Have a couple seed grown cacti of varying ages, some I bought and some I grew from seed, but in all cases the spikes are different than in the standard T. pachanoi pics. Instead of having three short fat spikes per cluster they have several spikes that are thinner, and in the younger ones- longer. So take a look and tell me what you think:

One year olds I grew from seed:

sp.jpg

sp3.jpg

A older one I bought:

sp1.jpg

sp2.jpg

Looks just like some of mine.

my pachanoi babies look like these pics too??

maybe they mature to a different growth pattern??

anyone know?

Thanks all, so it sounds like this is standard for younger T. pachanoi, but the question remains are they really the same as the ones with three short fat spikes, and if so how long does the transformation take. Has anyone grown a T. pachanoi from seed that had its spike formation change like that? Are the three spike kind only found as cuttings? If they are different HOW are they different?

i have t, pachnoi grown from seed and it looks like a small version of a large pachanoi even the spines are in proportion to its size at the moment its probably only about 10cm tall

Guest electro

i dont reckon it is t.pan ....

one of them is (the middle one [the older one u bought]

it sort of looks more like peruvian torch, but isnt .. a mate reckons it's old man of the andes "oreocereus" maybe ?

Guest electro

yeah i agree it isnt old man (i saw one over the weekend).

i still wouldnt be too sure it's t.pan .. from what ive seen (which isnt all that much so dont take my word as bible) the spines grow relative to the size of the plant ... (ie small plant very small spines, larger plant slightly larger spines)

The spines in that photo are alot bigger than the spines on my 45cm twin branched t.pan (which would mean that t.pan's have huge spines to begin with that shrink or get smaller with age) (not in keeping with t.bridgesii and other relatives)

a pachanoi of mine has had as an aduld short spikes, than years later, (because of maltreatment) it returned into the young plant grow-phase and yes

the spikes returned and seemed bigger in proportion to the rest of the plant.

the pachanoi seedlings have thin spikes but they are far more obvious to see and feel-"they stand out", later in adult life the spikes allmost seem to dissapear"they hide".but, naturaly a bigger cactus has got bigger spikes....

just bought a scopulicolus seedling at the markets

and it is exactly as i remembered it from 15 years ago:

the spikes get less an less prominet with age.

hmmmm it looks like a distinctly different Cerei to me. The spination on the last two pics looks just like Trichocereus pachanoi but the other ones look heaps different, I have some of those seedlins that have just germinated, so I will let you know if they get the really large spination or not.

Happy i.d'ing