The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mesq

Peyote seedpod

My peyote is setting seeds! So whats the bst way of collecting the seeds?? The first time I saw a pod I thought it was a malformed flower and let it die off.. so how do I collect the seeds Its so tiny ?

wait till ripe (watch for critters) and then just open the fruit and pick out the seed. Wash them (in tea strainer) and dry.

What is the average time from flowering to forming seedpods.

This year my Loph had flowered a number of times but I have yet to see a seed pod forming.

Ours recently flowered and set seed also. The flower bud appeared and developed into a fully grown flower over the space of a couple of days. It opened and closed a bit over the next 4 or 5 days i think it was. Although it seemed more than likely the flowers opening and closing mechanism was causing the pollination of the stigma(s)? (can't remember exactly what the flower looked like), I wanted to make doubly sure at this stage, and used a pair of tweasers to rub a bunch of the anthers on the stigma(s). I only did a semi thorough pollination job though. Then miraculously a little pink cigar shaped fruit appeared what seemed like overnight (but was probably 2-3 days). We only got 12 seeds from it. I'm not sure if this is a low or normal yield. I just used a pair of tweezers to remove the seeds from the fluffy crest, and to remove the ripe fruit and the seeds from the soft flesh. They are now drying.

BTW, the flesh of the fruit is rumoured to taste quite sweet

Ramon, have you tried hand pollination? Or do you think you might have some sort of hybrid?

Fractalhead:

Ours recently flowered and set seed also. The flower bud appeared and developed into a fully grown flower over the space of a couple of days. It opened and closed a bit over the next 4 or 5 days i think it was. Although it seemed more than likely the flowers opening and closing mechanism was causing the pollination of the stigma(s)? (can't remember exactly what the flower looked like), I wanted to make doubly sure at this stage, and used a pair of tweasers to rub a bunch of the anthers on the stigma(s). I only did a semi thorough pollination job though. Then miraculously a little pink cigar shaped fruit appeared what seemed like overnight (but was probably 2-3 days). We only got 12 seeds from it. I'm not sure if this is a low or normal yield. I just used a pair of tweezers to remove the seeds from the fluffy crest, and to remove the ripe fruit and the seeds from the soft flesh. They are now drying.

BTW, the flesh of the fruit is rumoured to taste quite sweet

Ramon, have you tried hand pollination? Or do you think you might have some sort of hybrid?

Mine has flowered about four times in the past two months or first time I didn't touch the flower which resulted in no seedpod. Second time I did try pollinating itself using a cotton bud. This resulted in a fruit but I thought it was a mutant flower/..

This time I had two fruits from one flower?? and one yielded only four seeds the other three seeds... pretty stingy but maybe Im not pollinating it properly.

I haven't tried to hand pollinate this year but have done in the past.

Although I am sure that I have had seeds produced without hand pollination.

This year I have had many flowers but no fruit set.

I will definately try hand pollination from now on.

When they have produced seeds I got around 5 seeds per fruit

Did you all know you can cross them with other genera?

Some mammilaria and obregonia i think ?