The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
spunwhirllin

globular cacti de-graft

hello,

unfortunatly i recently had to degraft a small button cacti due to orange rot,which really sucked,i had nightmares regarding it.

anyway,after severing the poor thing i noticed the rot extended deep into the interior of the flesh,so i reluctantly started carving out every single patch of dis-coloration to be seen.

its been resting up-side down and is starting to callus,but the interior has turned redish.

i really dont see how it can be rot if i got it all out.

could this be bruising?

or should i worry,and start carving?

any advice and/or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

thanx alot.

peacenplants

Not familiar with orange rot, but carving out the rotten parts is standard procedured for me!

If the reddish stuff does not look , feel like rot then it is probably not.

You might want to cut it and check if it's not....

Or if can you wait to see how it wil be next day? Then do that!

If you used alcohol to sterilise the knife you used to cut out the rot with and didnt let it all evaporate before cutting then it can cause red discolouration. Maybe there was some spores from the rot left on the cut area, its good to dust with sulphur after cutting out rot.

thanx,

i'll just have to wait and see.

the discoloration does'nt extend past the callus,so i think all is well,atleast i hope.

thanx again.

spun.

Orange discolouraton appears very common on my trichpcereus right now when i cut and seems to be due to some kind of oxidation and definitely not a pathogen. i wouldnt do anything rash

I had orange rot appear on t.pach plants and cuttings.It came up from the bottom on 2- 24" plants and a couple of 1ft. cuttings.I lopped of the tops as a last resort and now 1 1/2 years later they have never recovered.Orange rot is deadly.

yes, orange rot on trich's is really bad resulting

in orange porridge type mess, but the reddish rust type surface that appears usually on already healed flesh seems to be indifferent at worst.

what is orange rot??

I know orange rust, but not orange rot. and you surely aren't talking about a rust.

a pic would be great.

hi,

i've read quite a few posts regarding orange rot,

i presume its due to overwatering,or some sort of critter that burrows into the flesh infecting the interior.which should'nt be the case in my little dilemma.

i received the graft in good condition,except for a minor briuse on a smaller pup,this smaller pup was squishy and exuding a puss like substance.

so i gladly removed this little pup in hopes of eliminating any further damage to the mamma.

the flesh beneath the removed pup was green and clean,so i didnt worry.

a month or so later i was examining the mamma and discovered that it was starting to get squishy like the removed pup,oh crap i exclaimed.

so,i removed the graft and started sliceing the button thinly in hopes of eventually getting to some green/white flesh,but the more i sliced the deeper the rot extended.

the rot was gelatenous is texture and pure disease.

finially,after disecting nearly 2/3 of the thing i reached healthy flesh,then it starting turning rust red as it callused.

i dont know if its scientifically orange rot,but its orange and definetly rot and certainly cactus death.

well,thanks for the input everyone,i appreciate it.

That sounds like what happened to my cacti.

As far as to what caused it,I received all of them in the depths of winter and potted them up right away.I didn't water them and a couple of moths later they got the squishies.Since then I have a new approach.Any un-rooted cuttings that I recieve in winter stay out of the soil until shortly before things begin to warm up..so far it seems to work.