The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
spiraleyes

grafts that pup

does anybody have an explanation why some loph grafts shoot pups from every areole and some just swell producing only a few pups around the base?

just curious smile.gif

Are you talking about different grafts from the same original Peyote? Because if they are from different peyotes, well it could be the case that the one which spings pups from every areole is a Williamsii v. caespitosa, and the one which doesn't is just a regular williamsii.

Other than that, I would say it has to do with hormone levels in the root stock. Some hormones produced in plants are to do with branching (or in cacti, pupping), whereas others induce vegetative growth and inhibit branching. The hormones which inhibit branching are produced in the apical meristem (the growing tip of the plant, in your case the top of the cactus) which is why when you chop the top off a cactus, it grows branches off the sides.

So maybe if you cut one graft stock lower than the other, or longer ago, then there would be more of the branching hormones present, whereas a freshly cut graft stock which is cut near the very tip would still be producing some of the vegetative growth, branch inhibiting hormones which would result in a faster growing single button with not many pups.

This is just a theory I had while reading your post, I am not sure if any of it is true I am just applying basic biology theory to his situation. This of course would all rely on the fact that hormones are transferred from graft stock to sicon, which I am not sure is the case.

Hope this helps.

Guest Mesqualero

I think Peace Patrol is right... The Loph that pups from every areole is probably a Caespitose variety.. my graft is pupping from every areole at the moment.. and the pups are actually pinkish red.

Originally posted by Mesqualero:

and the pups are actually pinkish red.

They are sunburnt!

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Pink or red peyote can't be a good thing...too much sun man! Give 'em some shade cloth, I think about 50% is good, but would depend on how strong the sun is where you are.

Guest Mesqualero

I know it sounds like sunburn but it isnt smile.gif they are fine.. in fact some of the pups are turning green now.. I think it was a lack of pigment.. but I know the diff between this and sunburn..

yeah,they come out pinkish.

i think this IS sunburn due to the pup just being born and still sensitive to the suns rays.

it soon turns green though as it grows and adapts,.