The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Peace_Patrol

Humidity for grafting cacti?

Hey there people,

Soon I am going to be grafting a small Peyote button onto the tip of a 10cm tall Trichocereus Pachanoi (San Pedro). Just a few questions before preform the surgery....

Firstly, in the first days / weeks after I join the two parts, is it best to have a high, medium or low humidity? The guy who is giving me the button suggested a high humidity, but he has never done a graft before. I thought I should ask you guys as to what to do about that.

Also, how much light should I expose them to in the first weeks? (I am doing two grafts, one of the button, and another of the upside down root stock)...

One more question...should I continue watering once a week as usual, or cut back for a while after I have done the grafts?

Thanks a lot for any input, also any other advice on grafting would be good, from someone who has done it before

Guest Monkey Shines

High humidity is needed while the graft is joining so it doesnt form a callus, after the graft is successful the humidity should be lowered. The join and probably the peyote too should be kept very well shaded to prevent drying out. The graft can be given normal amounts of light after as long as the peyote doesnt get sunburned. You should give the san pedro a good amount of water 3-4 days before grafting then no more water so there is plenty of juice in it but it isnt too watery. When the graft has taken it should be watered to help the peyote recover just try not to get any water collecting around the peyote. When grafting always make sure the tools you use are sterilised with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) from chemists or there is a good chance of rot in the high humidity environment, just make sure the alcohol is evapourated before using them.

Thanks guys, both helpful responses. I now feel prepared to preform the grafting! smile.gif I am going to keep them in a fairly humid plastic box for the first ten days, exposing them to a little light, with daily air exchange. Keep a close eye out for any infection / rot, and I believe that it will work out well!

By the way, has any of you tried grafting the roots of a peyote onto a San Pedro? I have heard it works good, and produces several pups. Guess we will wait and see.

Guest Monkey Shines

I just tried grafting the roots a couple of days ago so im still waiting to see if it worked, it didnt seem much harder than grafting the top but it was difficult to hold it down with the nylon stocking because of the shape, the stocking kept sliding off. The vascular ring wasnt any different than on the top section, you also have to make sure the dirt from the roots doesnt fall onto the top of the cut stock or there might be rot and a gap between the join. Ill post a picture of the graft if it works.

Hey peace Patrol.... monkey shines said to work humid while grafting..... after placing the graft on top of graft stock, you should avoid humidity.

Another way is too work quick. The pedro is of course already prepared before hand (with the sides and top pre-cut)right before placing thegraft, you need to thin slice the top. This way the top will have no time to form callus and have a fresh juicy top layer.

Hmm, now I'm confused...

Here is an extract from the link posted above...

#6. The grafted plant must be placed inside a high humidity container for 10 days out of direct sunlight (this is absolutely essential!).

humidity is good for a few days, but should be avoided after that. Humidity is good for the graft to initially 'take', but once it has taken, any humidity may cause the scion to produce roots and push itself off the rootstock.