The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Jack

Grandfather Peyote

Heres some pics of my cacti, A friend gave me his Grandfather Peyote to look after, the bigger of the 2 specimens he says is aprox 30years old, I have a problem and that they are both oergrown with some kind of weed, purple four leaf clover type weed with yellow flowers, how should I go about getting rid if that?? The smaller of the 2 grandfathers was really bad shape when I got it, he said that it got water logged and there was a bit of rot, some of the buttons are soft, others have small holes in them, I am gonna repot both this weekend, any advise appreciated.

caci1.jpg

[This message has been edited by Jack (edited 31 October 2002).]

make sure to keep them dry for at least 2 weeks before repotting. use a sandy soil with good drainage, (see the course sharp sand info on this site, for the good stuff!)

Better to avoid using humus (TOO much nutrient rich soil) in the sand. 10 to 20% can be ok. depending on how frequently they are watered or receive rain.

The weeds just pluck'em carefully, do not worry about them too much.

Irie specimins!

forgot to add, remove the rotting buttons with a sharp knife!!!! let the wounds dry up completely for another 2 weeks at least before watering!

[This message has been edited by brian (edited 31 October 2002).]

What a "MOTHER" of a peyote!!!

L. williamsii var caespitosa or just a regular williamsii which has had a nibble in the far past?

good to see the sceletium is doing fine.

E D

well f.m.d that's an impressive peyo. the red clover shit won't be much affected by plucking, i've got it in my gotu kola and various other things. at a dormant-ish time of year i usually just upend the pot and pick it out roots'n'all.

[!!!!!

ill swap a bag of 30 i.violacea seeds for it!!!...thats a fair deal isnt it tongue.gif

WOW!!!!

Stop waterin for a few weeks. Then chop out any rotting or dead ones and let the wounds callus over. By this time all the weeds will be dead. Then start watering again.

A cactus of this age will happily live in "Searle's cactus mix". A bit of osmocote slow release pellets (included in the mix) is the safest way to fertilise ailing cacti as it doesn't introduce new pathogens and nutrient burn. As brian said, make sure to let the roots dry up completely (2 weeks) before repotting. After repotting do not water for a few days. I am sure this precious plant deserves a bigger pot (at least the same depth) wink.gif

Guest reville

Ive taken soft or rotting offcuts from my plants and occassionally the will stop rotting if dried out well and callus up.

Then repot them and easy does it get them growing again. These can be used at a later date for grafting.

The kinds of pathogens thatcause rot are always in the environment as spores and get into the soil, they only express when the cactus is weakened and they can take a hold.

Heres a titbit of trivia. The weed in the pot is a kind of Oxalis and the natural colour of this plant is green. After it found its way into potting mixes and nurseries a selection process started that saw green (obvious) forms pricked out by nurserymen, leaving the previously rare purple mutants behind at a greater rate (less visually obvious) so as a result most plants you find these days are purple or purplish.

[This message has been edited by reville (edited 03 November 2002).]