The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Ashoka

Rooting Sceletium cuttings..

Ok, I'm about to take some cuttings of my precious seed grown Sceletium and I need some advice. What is the best method to root a Sceletium cutting without using root hormone? Is root hormone essential?

Thanks

Ashoka

I take about a 3-4 noded cutting (6-8cm) which can either be a soft green stem segment or a harder segment.

Remove the lower leaves that go into the soil (carefully, as removing the leaves can break the stem) and water in. leave for a few weeks under shade cloth in not too warm an area and they should have roots. If they wilt, remove to a cooler shadier area. They tend to wilt a bit out of the shock or the cutting process anyway.

I suspect they are very similar in growth characteristics to the aussie local pigface plants and so should root easily without root hormone powder, but I use it just in case for my cuttings.

Sandy soil or cactus soil work fine for them.

Want to trade cuttings? I wouldn't mind some genetic diversity.

Damn, just realised you are in Denmark, that might make it harder, they don't travel well as cuttings/plantlets. Maybe if you get seeds (and when I get seeds).

E D

ps. How did you grow them from seed? did you get a good germination ratio?

[This message has been edited by Ed Dunkel (edited 25 October 2002).]

Thanks Ed

I will follow your instructions closely. I grew it from seed by making an humidity tent over the pot with seeds and keeping it by the window pane. The fluctuating tempteratures by the window and the humidity encouraged the seeds to germinate - that is my theory anyway. The germination rate of the seeds were about 4:10 not very good, but good enough for me. Ed, do you collect pollen from your Sceletiums? If you do, we could make some seeds, when my Sceletium eventually blooms.

Thanks

Ashoka

[This message has been edited by Ashoka (edited 25 October 2002).]

Similar conditions to mine. Moist soil in small pot next to window with some cling film over it and I got 1:10 That is why I am after some genetic diversity. When mine flowers I'll try and collect the pollen and send it to you pronto .

But my biggest hope would be seed trade as they would be much better prepared to handel the journey and be viable at the end of it. I wouldn't know how long pollen would last.

The other problem would be that flowering time would be seasonal and we are out by 6 months.

Anyway, send me an email and we will sort stuff out.

E D

Hey all....i have read recently that sceletium seed have some sort of inhibitor on them which may explain your low germination rates....if i can find the ref. ill post it......

What i have heard to do is to put seeds in a small vial or test tube or something with water and soak them for about a week, giving them a little shake daily through the week.... after this germ. rate should increase dramatically......

I just planted 20 seeds yesterday...have them in cactus soil(2/3 coursesharpsand,1/3 fine humus)....so we'll see how this goes...

-peace

Yes Ashoka, thats the one...thanks for posting the link smile.gif

Anyway...an update on the seeds.....After soaking and shaking the seeds for five days they were planted...now after only four days two sprouts came up! smile.gif woowhoo! ....Hopefully more will soon follow...

That's great!!!

As soon as I get seeds I'll try that out.

E D

Ed, check your mail...

Ash

Ed, how do you usually ship your Sceletium cuttings? In other words how do I ensure my cuttings will survive a trip through the postal system. I'm shipping them locally.

Thanks

Ashoka

I usually pot up a cutting and leave it too root and send it out when it starts to show strong healthy growth. I put the cuttings in small pots that mail easily.

Make sure you pack them carefully as the leaves bruise easily. Also pack them so they don't move around much in transport.

Have you got any pictures of your sceletiums?

laters,

E D

Good to know our sceletiums look very similar. Just have to wait for the flowers to show for the real identification

E D

Hmmmmm, fruits of the earth!