The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
SirLSD

my cacti and question (pic)

i will be moving out of home soon enough and want to take a few cacti with me. my parents will take care of what i leave so thats no problems. which pups should i take? when should i take them? any suggestion on what to do with my garden?

btw the pic is about a month old. tallest in pic is about 55cm. now about 65 cm. any advice atall appreciated

pic here : http://www.overgrow.com/edge/gallery.php?u...actuslowres.jpg

Guest reville

My advice is to thin them out to 2 plants at your parents, feed, water and watch them go ape over summer.At the end of summer you may want to prune wink.gif these

Take another one and put it into a large and nice pot and take it with you so it can sit near your window as a conversation piece.

Take the third one and slice it into 15 cm lengths, allow to callus for a month and a half and plant sideways in pots to make many many more baby cacti.It slows the accumulation of biomass temporarily but 20 2 yearold pedros weigh more than one 3 year old pedro.and theres proportionately more green flesh.

Trust me the more the better, theres always room for 1 more pedro.

ok, ive dug up the front one trying my best not to disturb the others and replanted it best i could. ill leave the pot in a shady dry area for a week or so for it to heal and establish itself? correct?

the one on the right i could get 2 15cm lenghts from the pup and 2 15-20cm lenghts from the main bit leaving 5-10 cm above the ground. whats the minimum lenght i could leave above the ground for it to safely regrow?

the back one and the one on the left are well established and doing well so ill leave them. though i keep wondering if i should take the top branch off the one on the left and plant it. ?

also what conditions do i leave the 4 segments in to calous? light?dark?temp?humidity?

thanks

also what do you think of the general health of the cacti from the pic? the tips are a healthy green but a section below that is a little yellow, then green again towards the base. this also gets worse in summer. is this a sign that there underfed?

thanks

SirLSD

[This message has been edited by SirLSD (edited 16 October 2002).]

Guest reville
Originally posted by SirLSD:

ok, ive dug up the front one trying my best not to disturb the others and replanted it best i could. ill leave the pot in a shady dry area for a week or so for it to heal and establish itself? correct?

yep thatll do. Ive never lost a pedro to anything yet in perth.But it cant hurt to allow to heal.

the one on the right i could get 2 15cm lenghts from the pup and 2 15-20cm lenghts from the main bit leaving 5-10 cm above the ground. whats the minimum lenght i could leave above the ground for it to safely regrow?

Ive had them come off at groundlevel but id leave 5 - 10 , sounds perfect. Watch out 4 snails.

the back one and the one on the left are well established and doing well so ill leave them. though i keep wondering if i should take the top branch off the one on the left and plant it. ?

its an exponential thing. You lose a little her gain a little there.Cant give you a straight answer

also what conditions do i leave the 4 segments in to calous? light?dark?temp?humidity?

anything but direct sun. otherwise doesnt seem to matter. Perhaps inside where its warmer as callus will form faster.

thanks

no worries. I just thought id jump in as we live so close that whats works for me is bound to work 4 u.

also what do you think of the general health of the cacti from the pic? the tips are a healthy green but a section below that is a little yellow, then green again towards the base. this also gets worse in summer. is this a sign that there underfed?

thanks

SirLSD

[This message has been edited by SirLSD (edited 16 October 2002).]

Guest Monkey Shines

If you leave the cuttings in a dark dry place for a couple of weeks they will root a lot faster

just thought it keep you updated rev. ive cut the one on the right. it is now 2 8 cm stumps. i have 3 pieces waiting to callus. 2 18cm lenghts i will try to plant horizontally and 1 26cm lenght ill plant vertically. fingers crossed (it will be my first attempt)

btw the one on the left is just starting to put out a new pup.