The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mesqualero

Potential problem with graft??

Guest Mesqualero

Ok so in the last post I claimed to have had success with my grafting attempt.. and at first i thought i had succeeded.. there is visible new growth on the scion and it is firmly attatched and is quite firm to touch..

BUT the root stock trichocereus has three new pups coming up one from an areole quite very near to the graft..

Now am i right in thinking that the root stock has not fully accepted the scion and wants to carry on regardless of the thing on top??

If it is not a direct threat to the graft... will the pups suck all the energy from the growth I want to be diverted to the scion?

In short what am I supposed to do ??

Thanks... (worried dad)

Guest Mesqualero
Originally posted by spiraleyes:

easy,cut the pups off.

should be fine.

glad to hear its going well smile.gif

What would happen if I left the pups to grow on?? Would pups and scion live together... albeit at a slower rate of growth??

or would the pup growth just totally slow the scion down...

In the end I most likely will cut the pups off.. frown.gif they were my first too... awwww

why so sad about pup removal, this is where new plants are created. i look forward to removing mine, so do the people who want rooted pups off me.

Guest Mesqualero
Originally posted by waterdragon:

why so sad about pup removal, this is where new plants are created. i look forward to removing mine, so do the people who want rooted pups off me.

Hmm they are only little yet .. basically my main concern is a fast growing scion...

And the pups are tiny at the moment basiclly just peeking out of the areoles.. should I wait till they are big enough and then cut them off.. they wont jeopardise the Graft at all?? Cos basically thats all im concerned with..

I just dont know

well you could always gouge out their apical meristems.

but that could cause more to pop out I guess... but then so would cutting them off...

heh I couldn't bring myself to do that tho!

Guest Monkey Shines

this is a quote from my book.

"Some stock may produce their own offsets. They should be removed as fast as they appear otherwise they will take over and your graft will eventually fail"

Guest Mesqualero
Originally posted by Monkey Shines:

this is a quote from my book.

"Some stock may produce their own offsets. They should be removed as fast as they appear otherwise they will take over and your graft will eventually fail"

Right thats what I thought...

thanks

I usually just pinch off the areole before they even produce a real pup. I have actually seen grafting stock in which all the areoles were completely removed prior to the grafting proceedure by a vertical cut from the top of the plant all the way to the bottom. Let the stock heal, then graft with no worries of pups sucking away the energy. But this sounds a little overboard for me, and certainly it destroys the aesthetics of the graft as a whole.