The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
wandjina

Bullies

Torsten:

Originally posted by creach:

My parents ... sent me to one in a fairly 'effluent' area

That stinks     :D  

but since they used this word in the kath and kim series (the funny abc comedy)the word effluent seems to get used for describing abundance!!

in school primary school I was, (and still am to a certain degree) a little smart ass and only had trouble with a bullie once.... but I somehow had made friends with people in the grades above them and they looked after me.

In high school it was weird... I teased and made fun of a lot of people, but at the end of the day, I always thought that I was friends with them, even though now I realise its quite possible that they hated my guts. The weirdest thing is that the person that my friends and I would pick on the most, was one of my closest friends through high schoool... and he still is one of my closest friends today.

-bumpy

I don't think I was ever bullied and I don't think I ever set out to bully someone but I'm sure that sometimes the things I did or said could be taken that way. Hell, in primary school I used to run a sort of imaginary game where I would hand out titles (such as Duke or Lord or Count or whatever) of imaginary places and people would do things to obtain them. I can't really remember what people did for their various little imaginary rewards.

Coming from a town of only 20-25 000 people and attending one of the two major Catholic primary schools and then attending the only Catholic high school may have something to do with it... everyone pretty much knew everyone and had done so for a considerable period of time. I went to kindergarten with people that I was still good friends with in year twelve and the relationships, while developing along lines of interest, as they do, remained fairly pleasant.

That isn't to say that there wasn't a degree of bullying that took place; some kids copped a lot of shit from certain elements and no-one would ever really intrude to stop it. So, I guess in our communal acceptence that some people were given shit we were all a part of it.

*shrugs*

Not too long ago I recall reading that a world famous actor or singer, who said that all the people that she admires for their creativity these days as adults were nerds as kids. These same creative adults were typically bullied for being weird nerds as kids. It makes me wonder if there is a common link between being nerdy and creativity.

Since we were nine years old, one guy who lived just across the street from the small elementary school we went to, James Jermanok, was the favorite target of bullies as he was ungainly and not very good at sports. Anyway, a few years ago Jim proudly gave a short speech and opened the Hollywood movie he wrote which received a 4 star rating and a double thumbs up from the typically prickly national movie critics. Jim said he was more nervous and self concious in front of his home town peers than he was a few days prior when he opened the movie in Hollywood in front of a few hundred big shots, since they were strangers. Ironically, in the crowd this time in our hometown, were likely a few of the people that bullied him thirty years earlier when we were kids.

"Passionada" starred Sofia Milos (from the movie "Chocolate") and Jason Isaacs (who portrayed the star Peter Pan and also was Lucius Malfoy in the Harry Potter movies.

Nerds revenge!

[ 25. July 2005, 13:36: Message edited by: hoodoo ]

if there is a common link between being nerdy and creativity

i wonder if Wandjina asked the question for similar reasons??

quote:

It makes me wonder if there is a common link between being nerdy and creativity.

remember reading that people who are rated by their peers as "creative geniuses" usually have an IQ of over 130 (but obviously not all ppl with IQ of 130+ are creative geniuses). i guess given that education etc is a typically hobby of smart people, they have a tendency to be meganerds at school.

if there is a common link between being nerdy and creativity

i wonder if Wandjina asked the question for similar reasons??

Are you saying you think I'm a nerd? *gasp* :(

The one place I thought I wouldnt be picked on... :rolleyes: :D

I was picked on at school, but more for being 'weird' than being a nerd per se.

In primary school I was the tallest kid...I towered over the boys, and was physically stronger than most of them too. But it was never the boys that bothered me. I just frightened them. It was the girls, they were very cruel.

I grew up wearing hand-me-downs. Alot of tracky-dacks, corduroy pants and skivvys. I was a bit of a tom boy and didn't care much for girly skirts and ribbons etc. (but I do remember lusting after a pair of lace-sided Madonna boots (worn with the requisite pink fluoro socks)...I think I eventually got the socks.)

Nevertheless, I was picked on mercilessly for my clothes, my interest in things considered odd or unusual, and my rejection of 'normal' girly stuff.

Because of medical problems with my joints I couldn't play sport, so I was seen as/felt like a bit of an outsider. My Mum was a pretty outspoken feminist and radical (for the early 1980's at least), and got in the bad books with some parents at the p&c. This may have made things a bit worse.

I enjoyed hanging out with boys...especially if it involved setting things on fire, climbing trees or breaking into abandoned buildings and construction sites. Most girls were too chicken shit to do that kind of stuff. I would've much rather egged cars or made prank phone calls than played 'hairdressers'.

Also, I had changed schools at 7, moving from the working class burbs to inner city sydney...I was pretty naive compared to those paddington kids. But I could climb trees, catch animals and make a fire...not many of them could do that.

I suppose i kinda liked being different sometimes. the times I didn't hate it.

Puberty hit at 11 which only made me feel more different...there's only so many t-shirts you can wear at once. I got called 'Mt Everbreast' for the last 6 months of year 6.

Parts of High school were even worse.

The first 2 years were absolutely awful. One girl in particular really had it in for me.

It's amazing how one person, often an insecure small individual, can come to wield enormous power in the school environment. Danielle L...what a bitch.

She managed to turn the entire grade against me, I spent the good part of year 7 being taunted, lauged at, having nasty things written on the toilet walls about me, pushed, bags/ciggies stolen, drinks/food 'accidentally' spilled on me, hair cut off, etc etc...I can't even remember what it was I'd supposedly done to deserve this. I remember being called a freak, a psycho bitch. I just didn't like doing, or really fit in, with what most girls did. I was awkward and self-conscious. I had, and voiced, opinions about politics and philosophy. Plus an unconventional taste in music, and still wearing hand-me-downs. Man, was i depressed.

Luckily, in year 9, I changed schools and found a group of other 'weirdos' I felt comfortable with. We all excelled academically, but shared a penchant for altered states, dark clothing, good music and of course trespassing and mischief.

It was a girls school, and we were referred to as the 'lesbian goat fuckers'...which was not at all true, well not the part about fucking goats anyway.

I'm still very close to a few of them, and I never would have finished school without their love and support. It warms my heart to say i have such close friends. I feel very lucky.

sometimes I think of the kids who bullied me, and maybe every now and then i'll think 'you little shits'...but it doesn't keep me up at night. Generally I feel grateful...it actually puts a smile on my face.

I survived it, I stayed me, I didn't conform. Perhaps they made it easier for me to be unconventional in the long-run. To not buy into the rat-race bullshit they were inadvertantly peddling.

Whatever the case, I must admit I feel a degree of satisfaction to learn that my two worst bullies never amounted to squat. The girls that were on the receiving end however, have gone on to do a range of interesting and wonderful things. It may take awhile, but it seems to me that what goes around comes around.

Interesting thread.

David Carradines book the

(Endles Highway] is about a alpha male.

My own expiereience was that I never bullied anybody, And I never did, I was just the totally ignored.

I simply gravitated to my acceptance group which was serouus drug users that wouldn't test to classify my social order.

Since I started karate at fifteen and ended after A B.S clinical laboratory technology biology degree, that makes it two types of karate (kempo[] judo and aikido made bar fights easy.

i have never found kempo or judo that applicable.

pretty to watch in competition.He he, i remeber when the touring canadian judo team came to my old muay thai school to spar for readiness for the 2000 syd olympics.It was quite amusing.

Reminds me of a science fiction story I read once where a guy had a invisible death ray gun but it wouldn't stop the alien animal attacks because there was no visible connection between the raygun and the disintergration of the massive attacking alien herd.

The end of the story is that he was rescued and the rescuerers were wondering why he was using his raygun to hammer a stake into the ground for a fence..

prep to the end of grade 4 i was the big kid who had been there since day one and had it over the grade 5 and 6ers. then my primary school merged and my mum didnt like it so i was moved for the start of grade five, then i was the little new kid and copped it hard, wedgies, bashings, marbles thrown at the head, being stuffed into lockers and under buildings, the usual. even got tied up into a fairly tall teatree once. (was itchy for days) everything got blamed on me, and as you know 20 against one usually dont end up in your favor. so i turned into a nutcase, threatening people with logs, knives and whatever was available just to avoid it. then i went to highschool and got the same deal, almost everyone came from feder schools so they already knew people, i didnt know a soul. and now i wasnt the little new kid i was the really little new kid and copped it hard again, thats probably most of the reason i was kicked out halfway through year nine, oh well you only get what you give and i dare say i am now a better person for it. that and the life i lived for a while after that taught me quite a few vary valuble lessons fairly early in life

When you reach a ripe old age, there are no bullies, or geeks or any sort of segregration like at school

People just have to let go of such things and move on to have a happy life

now you can get your own back :D

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/611/611166p1.html

quote:

Rockstar games, publisher of the Grand Theft Auto series, has announced today that a new game, Bully, will be coming to the PlayStation 2 and Xbox this October. This is the first game being developed by Rockstar Vancouver and it follows the story of a troublesome schoolboy in reform school as he tries to stand up to bullies, gets picked on by teachers, plays pranks, and even tries to get the girl. All of this takes place in the fictional Bullworth Academy.