The Corroboree
Alchemica

Free Iresine herbstii cuttings

Doing lots of cuttings of this at the moment, if someone wants to grow it get in touch here. No WA/TAS.

The traditional healers use Iresine herbstii with the ritual aim to expel bad spirits from the body. Furthermore, Iresine herbstii was used in association with other plants, such as Trichocereus pachanoi, for divination, to diagnose diseases, and to take possession of another identity.

Tea has been prepared from the leaves, rich in antioxidants.

Iresine herbstii (Amaranthaceae), traditionally called “cimora se˜ norita”, is used in black magic (De Feo, 2003) and in association with San Pedro for magic rituals (Friedberg, 1959; Dobkin De Rios, 1977; De Feo, 2003), to diagnose illness, and to take possession of another identity (Cruz-Sanchez, 1948). Its leaves are claimed, for external use, a skin depurative, whereas the aerial part decoction is known to be an antipyretic (De Feo, 2003).

- anti-inflammatory, cytotoxic and apoptotic activities and antioxidant activity
-  affinity for the 5-HT1AR
- affinity for 5-HT2C receptor and for D1 receptor (MeOH extract)
- lower affinity for D1 and higher affinity for D2 receptors (Aq. extract)
- presumable antagonist  action on D1 and D2 receptors by  Iresine (both extracts)

Leaves: 2,5-Dimethoxy-6,7-(methylenedioxy)-isoflavone; acylated betacyanins
Roots: oleanolic acid and its saponins. An alcoholic  extract of the root showed the presence of amino acids, steroids, triterpenoids, alkaloids and coumarins. 

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2005.11.022
https://doi.org/10.1076/phbi.34.3.184.13212

• Like 1

I've been propagating this for a while now, but have no experience with consumption. How does it taste? Grows well from cutting, but not from seed, in my (limited) experience. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fyzygy said:

I've been propagating this for a while now, but have no experience with consumption. How does it taste? Grows well from cutting, but not from seed, in my (limited) experience. 

No experience with consumption myself either but maybe I need to expel some bad spirits....

• Like 1

On 11/04/2024 at 5:15 PM, Alchemica said:

No experience with consumption myself either but maybe I need to expel some bad spirits....

Does erowid still add things to their experience vaults? Might be good to document given it's traditional use, even if the experience is "no effect"

• Like 1