The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
-RC-

RDT for AU gov?

Anyone hear about Zali Steggal and the RDT proposal for Australian politicians and their cronies?

Independent MP Zali Steggall has pushed for drug and alcohol tests for members of parliament following an incident with the Nationals Deputy Leader last week during a Senate inquiry.

“I do think the government is to look at this question and actually all leaders of all major parties and really consider random alcohol and drug testing in the Commonwealth workplace,” she told Sky News Australia. 

“I think we really have to stop and consider as members of parliament the incredibly privileged role we have but also the example we need to set for our staff and advisors but also for others.

“The incident from last week and now this week shows that there is bigger problem than what maybe is acknowledged.”

Ms Steggall’s comments follow the shock admission of the Nationals Deputy Leader Perin Davey saying she drank alcohol before a Senate hearing.

What say you plantheads? Yay or Nay?

• Like 2

They should develop true tests of impairment that can be used roadside and during parliament.

Maybe when it affects them personally the path to reasonable drug reform will become a little more clear.

• Like 2

How would the drug testing regime be enforced, i.e. what penalty? I can only imagine the scandal of a female MP being tested positive for alcohol - versus her male counterparts like Barnaby Joyce, whose approval rating is still being shored up by a protectionist mainstream media. I'm not sure what the parliamentary rulebook says about drunkenness or illicit drug-taking. But there'd be no point in testing if there weren't any consequences. 

Furnishing Kirrabilly House with one of the world's best-stocked wine cellars probably doesn't help, or set a good example. On the PM's salary, he/she/it can afford to buy their own. 

• Like 2

I would assume the consequences are

1. They lose their vote on the next issue. So that leaves the party less likely to be able to pass legislation.

2. They are penalised financially, either a fine or that week/month salary

3. They go on a public register. This could then be used to assess their character by the electorate come next election cycle.

Failing that you could simply criminalise drinking or drug decision making in the same way it is for driving.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1