The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Agamemnon

You MUST read this Book!!!

"The lost amazon : the photographic journey of Richard Evans Schultes" 2004, chronicle books isbn 0811845710

scan0005.jpg

Here in stark reality yet mythic sepia, is Schulte's long career of discovery and immersement in ethnobotany in South America. Much is revealed about this person through his photography and for anybody who is serious in their pursuit of the natural and magical viewed through the filter of science and cultural understanding, this tome is simply superb!

some snippets........

scan.jpg

Cubeo shaman under the influence of yage, Mitu, June 1953

scan0003.jpg

Schultes fording a stream collecting "samples"

scan0004.jpg

Snuff said...

scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

This man is a legend in his own time (hell, in mine too!). The book isn't just a collection of photos that have never been seen before. It explores the man, his rationale and the extraordinary drive that enabled him to cut through his cultural norms and pursue the transcendental with a genuine respect for the cultures that opened his minds eye.

here's the amazon.com rant link

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846

Just get the book...period!!! :cool:

[ 18. February 2005, 20:54: Message edited by: Agamemnon ]

wow looks good where did you get it from and how much was it?

I loaned it from my local library. Apparently its just been published. Its 160 pages, and Ive ordered a copy for myself. Will cost you around $40 from any bookstore like Dymocks or Angus & Robertson, but its something that just inspires you again and again...just blows me away, and yet makes me so sad that so much has been lost.....

[ 18. February 2005, 21:51: Message edited by: Agamemnon ]

Fantastic, thanks very much for sharing that.

I knew i was hanging onto this dymocks voucher for a reason.

Does this book cover native understanding of rainforest fauna?

It has to worth a read, even if it only higlights the forrest's losses, sustained by human expansion.

I am amazed that science corporations (profiting from drug development), do do not rush to South America to undertand the forrest before it is gone.

Perhaps they only want to understand that which is obvious and an conductive to their present profit schedule.

Amazing book.

Took me a while, but i've just received a copy.

This is an absolute must for anyone with interests in Amazonian medicine or even simply interest in the people. The people are so captivating for myself, they are very beautiful people.

Brief thing i've noticed is some mix ups with tribal names that go with certain pictures, nothing major though, still have to give it a good go over.

The photo of the Makuna boys fishing with the bow is such a great shot.

Also has some very confronting bits of text about the way white people treated indians in the past and even their sacred landmarks, like the rock of nyi, rio pirparana, which a Protestant missionary basically destroyed around the 60-70s?? Claiming it was the work of the devil. :angry:

Aswell as a very tragic bit about an indian woman and how she was killed, because someone caught a disease after raping her.

Anyway highly recommended.

Richard E. Schultes's book Golden Guide: Hallucinogenic Plants, is what got me really into ethnobotanics, this book looks great i will have to try and get myself a copy.