The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nabraxas

let's talk firefox

it does seem to load pages faster.

i like the SaferFox Expanded Theme, & i've got the Ad Blocker & media player extensions.

anyone got any other extension/plug in favourites?

I use Green Browser for the multiple browser opens, I am surf addicted for sure.

There are options for turning off slow speed problems and automatically erasing internet history if thats a concern.

And a manual turnoff of the stuff a firewall would do.

Not perfect as there is a hang up problem with the software about every day in use but worth it. Like to know about a better multiple browser.

what do you mean by "multiple browser"?

All browsers can open multiple windows, many can open multiple tabs in a window. Also afaik all browsers open multiple connections to the web server to speed page loads. Is one of these what you mean?

Personally I use safari cos I'm addicted to Aqua

:cool: As long as a browser has tabs, antialiased fonts and popup blocking, I'm set. So, when not on a Mac I use firefox.

[ 10. February 2005, 08:49: Message edited by: rkundalini ]

SwitchProxy is a firefox extension for the paranoid, which allows one to easily switch to an anonymous proxy server. This is for those times when you would rather not have your IP address logged at that site your visiting. Also when using an anonymous proxy, all your ISPs squid logs will only contain URLs for anon proxy servers, not those naughty URLs you were looking at (yes it is likely your ISP keeps a log of the sites you visit). Also when in anonymous mode you set it up to select a different proxy from a huge list, every few seconds (proxy lists here) .

Also remember lots of stuff can be stored in your browser cache so if you are looking at stuff which you would rather not have to explain, then set your browser cache to be very small, and also set you history to be say only 1 day or turn it off.

BugMeNot is a great little extension that let's you bypass the login on sites that have compulsory registration or collect personal info (eg. Sydney Morning Herald recently went this way). Just right-click, say BugMeNot, and it logs you in - provided someone has submitted a login/password to the database for everyone to share. Works with most major sites.

Some other favourites are Mouse Gestures, the Google Toolbar for Firefox, and FlashGot.

sooooooooo many good plug ins!

I like the search engines that it has. you can addone for just about every site you can think of, including garden web.

for the extension side of things, if you use a phBB system often, you'll love BBCode

All-in-one Gestures makes your mouse

Translate makes getting translations of text easy as right clicking

There's a thing called the DOM inspector, but never having gotten my hands on any DOM i cant get it's quality inspected. (any DOM donations are GRATEFULLY accepted :D )

theres heaps more but they are the ones that i use.. maybe i'll update my collection

%simon

One I use a bit is ieview

It gives you an option when you right click on a page or link to "open page in IE" - helpful for some of the brain-dead pages out there that only work with internet explorer.

.. i use Opera v7 ..

very nifty software indeed .. includes :

pop up blocker

java blocker

cookie blocker

page loading with/without images

chat room facitlities

password wand

a 'delete private data' button for flushing cache etc.

and groovy mouse gestures which make browsing so quick.

..and yes the very first thing I noticed is how much quicker it is.

in general Opera blocks all advertising, except its own, which it limits to one permannent banner top right of screen.

(crack found at www.cracks.am - beware this site, spyware/adware central)

havent used IE since, and I havent made Opera the default browser. In other threads I have noticed that most spyware/malware/adware is written to breach IE and Netscape protocols, so I guess its just a case of staying a step ahead of the crosshairs. (kinda like KDX)

werd

nabraxas:

it does seem to load pages faster.

For the record it doesn't but it still beats the crap out of IE but I personally use mozilla.