The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
2b

positive opiate test ?

Any one catch "Myth busters" on SBS last night ? There was a peice on people testing positive to opiates after eating poppy seed bagels or poppy seed cake , this was meant to be an urban myth so they did the experiment. Both subjects eat normal amounts of each product that contains poppy seeds , both are urine tested almost straight away. One returns a positive sample ? may-be a false positive ? Both are tested 2 hours later , both return positive samples ! Both are tested 8 hours later , you guessed it both still positve ! The test subjects are dumbfounded , did not expect this result . They are both tested again the next morning , almost 18 hours after poppy seed comsumption and still show traces of opiates in there urine ! As these tests are done as part of job interviews and in random in some work places , the implications are alarming !!! You may not get that job and not know why ? You may get fired and branded a drug addict ?

Hey smogler,

Why don't you update your site once in a while you bag of shit.

With regards to myth busters, that really is an awesome show. I caugt it the other week when they were trying to attach a rocket to the roof of an old chevy out in the desert. That was fucken cool

-Chemical Shaman

myth busters is great, but sometimes they really fuck things up. Like the exploding trombone myth. Anyone spot why they busted it unfairly?

The poppy one was surprising. Quite political too.

I particularly liked the episode where they exploded a pigs stomach with pop rocks and cola.

Or where they painted him in that gold shit and he nearly fucking died.

lol

Hmmm I haven't watched many ... I did see the start of one where they were investigating the story about the woman who flushed an airline toilet and got stuck there, supposedly they had to land the plane to get her off, etc... the experiment they were rigging up was full of all kinds of holes that make it inconclusive, so I changed channels. Unless you are actually going to get a fat ass woman to sit on a real airline toilet seat, forget it. A bit of thought goes much further than a dodgy experiment.

Outside air pressure at 12,000 m : 15 kPa

Cabin pressure, equivalent to ~2000 m altitude: 75 kPa

Differential pressure: 60 kPa

Area of arse ~= 0.1 m2

--> Suction force ~= 6 kN, equivalent to lifting 600 kg

so, on the face of it it seems possible, but think about it, all she'd have to do is pry a gap between her legs or so and the seal is broken, and off she comes.

Plus, if she did get stuck, I'm not sure but I would think she would have had massive injuries given the pressure differential on either side of her anal sphincter... think about it! The same effect would be made laying on your back and sticking like several tons of weight on your abdomen. Think about what happens with one of those tubes of toothpaste with the flip top lids, if you squeeze them too hard.... Plus probably all her blood vessels would burst, massive bruising if not bleeding.

hmmm got go eat lunch now :rolleyes:

[ 19. January 2005, 10:33: Message edited by: rkundalini ]