The Corroboree
MoonUnitBotanica

Building a cactus house

I've no idea where to start. I'm not very buildy, pretty Shit at man stuff. Henceforth I am going to spend my tax cheque this year on possibly paying someone to build one for me, I'm thinking a local third year apprentice.  I think I'll get close to 3 k back on my tax this year, plus have around 2 saved so that gives me about 5k to spend.

are there such thing as cactus shed plans anywhere? Or am

i best of just describing to the young fella what i

want?? I need a good, permanent structure. Something that allows good air circulation and allows me to

control the watering. I would like the benches to be of such a design that allows bottom watering, like a flood and drain system.

• Like 2

Go and clear the spot for him, rake it out, tamp it flat. Get a big 1 meter spirit level and tape it to a 2 meter length of timber and try to get the area level and firm and clear for him...

Then u just need to buy some bags of cement bro. 3 or 4 bags per footing. Then he can raise the whole structure 150-200mm off the earth and build a small timber deck on footings.

Then just build your shed on the deck. Raised and dry. 5k you will get an absolute RIPPPPPER :) even get power and lights out to it for that price if there is a close-by outdoor circuit to jump off...
I wish I was close to you, me and my old man would come and help out, he loves that shit. We're both sparkys, but he does everything except the plumbing when renovating.

Good luck MoonUnit - may the force be with you.

Edited by Skellum
  • Like 2

Especially if your rural and your going to get a local apprentice to help out.  $5k to a 3rd year apprentice is like 20% of their yearly wage... maybe don't talk funds initially lol - you might intimidate the kid haha

Bummer , if ur ever up to it ya can stay here and I'll feed yas and provide booze! As well as the funds!

He'd not be down for the travel and I need his expertise, or id come out solo. His old man just passed away in the last month so hes not in the right place for big road trips at the moment...

It'll be a pretty easy task man some will be able to help you for sure. You can save many man hours by clearing the area and buying some materials too for him to just come in and start.

Timber frame, clear corrigated plastic roof, shadecloth walls? something like that? on sturdy raised timber deck? Easy half week job for someone man

Yeah hope so! Hoping it all falls together :)

• Like 1

depends on lots of things, mainly what kind of greenhouse you want , how big... 

I think 2 smallers greenhouses is better than one, or 2 glasshouses instead of a bigger one if a glass house is what you had in mind.... 

but it all depends on lots of things... 

you'd better find someone to discuss all the implications first, a mechanic with experience in glasshouses would be ideal... 

take your time to decide if you are willing to spending 5k is what I suggest 

Check out the bunnings ones mate theyre not that expensive as you may think, 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/maze-victory-greenhouse_p3321150 - $3000 but decent,

https://www.bunnings.com.au/maze-8-x-12ft-greenhouse_p3320980 - $1700 but decent size

https://www.bunnings.com.au/maze-6-x-10-greenhouse_p3320750 - I plan on getting one of these later this year (based off the price) 

Otherwise just check out google and try to find a wholesaler or supplier to bunnings ect, if you want a custom thing then yeah you'll be up for abit I guess it all depends on how many or the size of your cacti & succulents.

*EDIT* Just some advice from experience but if you intend on making something custom youll need a real plan, drawing ect for custom shelving and access ect ect and things like glass or polycarbonate roofing is $$$ and with the experience of a 3rd year you'll wanna make sure he can hang doors, pitch rafters ect.. Just a heads up of what to expect! 

Edited by Zyppel
  • Like 1

Looks like I've found a dude, I think he's on the forum. Lookin forward to tax time!

• Like 1