The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
GorrilaGardener

marking/corking on macrogonus

anyone got any idea what I'm dealing with on this Macro?

comparing this to a picture i took several months ago, the markings seem to be spreading.

I find it odd though that none of this has spread to the pup on top, it seems immaculate?

cheers,

Schoey

IMG_0646.JPG

IMG_0646.thumb.JPG.362f0144d87114f9290091e0f82af66e.JPG

IMG_0646.thumb.JPG.362f0144d87114f9290091e0f82af66e.JPG

I'd like to know myself; I've got one peruvianus plant that is affected similarly, only much more so.....old growth is affected, new growth & pups are not.

I'm half convinced its genetic based as i took a totally non affected branch, rooted it, and planted it in a different section of my garden.   Now 3-4 years later the main stem is affected  but none of the branches.  Predominately occurs on the sun facing sides.  The corking is on the waxy outer layer; peeling it away reveals normal green epidermis underneath the corking.  Whatever it is, it does not spread to nearby plants.

• Like 1

Isn't it just regular sunburn?

That's good to know that it doesn't seem to effect other plants zelly, I just noticed another peruvianus 'john' of mine has one or two tiny spots like this also. Maybe it is a peruvianus trait?

makes sense quixote, the reason I had to cut the top of the macro was due to sunburn then rot seemed to set in. I find it odd that the current markings haven't progressed to the extent that the top did though?

Ive noticed similar marking on a few different bridgesii hybrids, im always left scratching my head thinking "this kinda looks like scale damage, but i cant find any scale". Likewise as Zelly said, when i scrape tiny pieces of these corked areas away its dark green underneath. 

My theory is its some sort of surface infection, which some cactus recognizes early resulting in termination of nutrient flow to the infected area, causing the infection not to spread. 

sunburn is completely different, this is in a league of its own.   A spot will start off really small & then grow larger over a course of time.  Soon spots begin to overlap each other.  It mainly occurs on sun exposed sides but will also form on sides totally shaded.

• Like 1