The Corroboree
BedOSpines

Is this normal for a trichocereus graft stock?

Hi people.

I grafted this loph maybe 8 months ago. The loph itself is looking great and was as big as one of those pups at the beginning.

20160522_035912.jpg

The stock is not looking happy and I wondered if it's normal, most pics I see of grafted lophs the stocks seem a bit more full and less deflated looking. What do you reckon? Something to fix or something to ignore? I tried searching but I'm no sure what to call it? I wondered if low ferts might be to blame?

20160522_035839.jpg

20160522_035821.jpg

20160522_035912.thumb.jpg.023e5af3a0d09b34db110fbc598545c9.jpg

20160522_035839.thumb.jpg.2a2b1122c2ca342a82387aca0bc11a08.jpg

20160522_035821.thumb.jpg.3b1e848a95e54e159a8ebfacca463bbf.jpg

20160522_035912.thumb.jpg.023e5af3a0d09b34db110fbc598545c9.jpg

20160522_035839.thumb.jpg.2a2b1122c2ca342a82387aca0bc11a08.jpg

20160522_035821.thumb.jpg.3b1e848a95e54e159a8ebfacca463bbf.jpg

is it soft? or spreading? if yes might be a good idea to regraft before it spreads to the loph

• Like 1

Well if talking about the discolouration at the bottom, it doesn't seem to be spreading. It does look dehydrated to me but when I water it the scion will pump up but stock remains like This. It's soft in the same way as flat tire is soft, the outside still seem tough but yea its got no air left lol. Suppose I regraft if it. Would a dissected stock tell a better story?

Thanks guys.

personally i think you're making a mountain out of a molehill :)

I'd re pot that puppy into a pot that would hide the rootstock in its entirety so that the only thing visible is the scion fully engulfing a round pot right at the rim level.  

• Like 4

It certainly would look nicer zelly, I didn't want to do it if it was rotting or something, that would be counter productive. still i'd like to know why. the stock was nice and plump originally. Its as if the loph has stolen all its power lol. I've read in some other forums, people say there stock gets 'used up' I wonder if that's really a thing with trichs? 

• Like 1

Its as if the loph has stolen all its power lol

bingo

not so much a 'thing with trichs', more at overall size of the rootstock to begin with in relation to accelerated growth of the scion.  Its hard to tell how tall your root stock is; I would recommend a minimum of 12" for a long term graft, the bigger the better.

• Like 4

most of my grafts are/were done in relatively short stock... works good for just a while and serves the means for propagation ..  Seeing how some of Philocacti's grafts are doing in large NICE stocks that DONT pup (he uses Stenocereus f.e. ), I figured out the best grafts are done on great - large stocks...

I am thinking tricho is good for propagation through graftin, but not the best.. BUT - it works wonders - as I have numerous lopho grafts on short tricho stock -   to keep grafts alive and healhty each growing season, so as to remove pups to root (hint hint) 

other than than that, that happens all the fucken time, best thing is to add some soil or stones, if you think's zelly suggestiojn is too risky. The stock is probably deciding to pup (that would explain the shriveling), maybe, tricho grafts do this all the time, especially if you do them on a KK339 pachanoi, one of the puppiest of my trichos :P 

Edited by sagiXsagi
  • Like 2

Thanks guys. I'm relived to hear it's to be expected on shot stock. The stock is scop x sausage at maybe 5" and appears to be not very scop like at all (particularly atm) interesting you say it might be trying to pup. I have another graft about the same size/age/stock but I cut all the areoles out and it's staying firm and fat. 

I saw philo's grafts and was very impressed. I've got to keep a look out for some stenocereus. 

Thanks for the help all, I can sleep easy knowing the loph probably won't melt overnight haha. If I can manage a decent stock I may regraft after taking the pups off if not I'll be hiding the stock. Out of sight out of mind aye. 

• Like 1