The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Berengar

Name of an old Australian nature series

I'm trying to find an old nature/survival documentary series, it was about a guy in olive drab clothes, thin, dark haired iirc, who traveled around the bush and showed what to eat and drink and how to survive, often accompanied by native people. We had it in Europe in the early 90s, don't know when it was recorded. Does anybody remember what it was called?

Thanks!

malcolm douglas?

• Like 3

No, but Malcom Douglas wiki page had a link to Les Hiddins, The bush tucker man, and that's the guy! Thank you very much!

• Like 1

bush tucker man! that takes me back :-)

• Like 5

lol...both legends those fellas.

For anyone else that hasnt crossed it before, he also put out a book Berengar:wink:

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Like 4

This guy?

• Like 4

There was an awesome series called "bush mechanics" too, did anyone see that?

• Like 6

This shows really puts in perspective how much society has changed in the past 30 years. How much more bored and jaded we've become. Today general audience cares about nature/survival shows only when there's someone like Bear Grylls running around with his thousand of dollars worth of equipment, jumping out of a helicopter, drinking his own piss, eating apples out of bear shit and pulling all kinds of sensationalist stunts. Nobody cares about this great man in simple clothes, a jeep and with just a few simple tools. Even animal documentaries must have some kind of anthropomorphic and drama element to them to be 'acceptable'. Really makes me feel nostalgic for the old days, at least when television is concerned. This show was awesome, and still is! 

• Like 2

On 09/05/2016 at 3:03 PM, Glaukus said:

There was an awesome series called "bush mechanics" too, did anyone see that?

Hahaha, I loved that show. Replacing a cross-member with a fencepost and barbed-wire, brilliant. 

I remember when they pulled into a servo, filled up, and then just looked at each other and said... "so, how we gonna pay this white fella?" ... and just drove off, lol 

Barefoot Bushman?