The Corroboree
onyeka

Damn street lights

Ah damn got new neighbours and their was a conifer tree planted in front of it in their garden. This tree also blocked the street lighting coming into my garden too.

Now they have cut it down the light completely illuminates my green house so my plants will be on near 24h light. 

worst! something similar here. had one of the ones out the front blown for years, they finally replaced it a little while ago and its like a mini sun! i often wonder what affect it has on my vegie patch/fruit trees, but they dont seem to mind!

A spun gun would take care of that pesky light.

Thhwhoooooomp.

Not that I have ever done such a thing. Just saying.

:wink:

Edited by Alice
  • Like 1

If it's on a metal pole it's possible to kick the base of the pole so the pole and light fitting wobbles, wobble enough and the globe will blow

or if it's on a wooden pole and the globe has no cover on it hose the globe when it's been on for a while and it will shatter, this can be dangerous though as electricity and water don't mix

• Like 1

lame, my landlords cut down the palm tree out the front of my place which also did the same. the possums used to scurry up it then brawl all across the roof too

i really miss those little guys 

Rather than attack the light directly, which could be considered vandalism and therefore attract unwanted (always unwanted), could you erect some kind of shade barrier between the light and the glasshouse. Plywood boards, cardboard, newspaper, paint ? Are your plants particularly light sensitive? Like moonlight fuks things up sensitive?

shimmy up the pole and spraypaint the lense for the half that shines on your plants. Silver will do it good best or something with a heap of metallic in it 

• Like 2

don't do this...

I use to throw a few blankets over the greenhouse when I was urban for photosensitive plants.

Would the extra light matter at this time of year? Plant might do its own thing regardless of the change.

Don't think shooting it out is a way to go lol thought about some sort of shade cloth or something. Iv considered planting a conifer or something like that but I rent the property and the landlord is a dick and doesn't maintain the property well so don't plan on living here for too long!

Get bigass mirrors that are going to shine it right into their house or television or bedroom! Our bedroom is above the garage on a street corner and right next to about six! Street lamps that shine right into our bedroom. Pain in the ass I tell ya. 

• Like 1

Street lamps that shine right into our bedroom. Pain in the ass I tell ya. 

lol yup. we've got an external blind, sleeping bag, internal cedar blind and a blockout curtain over it. and it just seems to do the job :P   

• Like 1

As spooge said a good couple of kicks at the base will do the trick - blow out or fall out just watch the head haha :D

Used to have the same problem. But the guy across the road had the problem worse. So every time they'd repair the street light, the next night he'd shoot it out with an air rifle lol.