The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Alchemica

Memantine

I've had one forum member suggest memantine to me as a way they've managed to tackle addictions. I'm interested if other forum members have had experience with it?

My interest is in tackling a blend of schizophrenia, addiction, depression, anxiety, autism and cognitive decline due to substance abuse and suicide attempts [i'm still awaiting results from a neuropsychological assessment but my deficits are personally pronounced, also awaiting referral to a neurological psychiatrist]. I've increased my physical exercise, social contact and improved my diet but still have interest in pharmaceutical options. It seems promising at first glance:

Memantine for schizophrenia

A Prospective Open-Label Trial of Memantine Hydrochloride for the Treatment of Social Deficits in Intellectually Capable Adults With Autism Spectrum Disorder.

This prospective 12-week open-label trial evaluates the tolerability and efficacy of memantine hydrochloride for the treatment of core social and cognitive deficits in adults with high-functioning autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Measures for assessment of therapeutic response included the Social Responsiveness Scale-Adult Research Version (SRS-A), disorder-specific Clinical Global Impression scales, Behavior Rating Inventory of Executive Functioning-Adult Self-Report, Diagnostic Analysis of Nonverbal Accuracy Scale, and Cambridge Neuropsychological Test Automated Battery. Eighteen adults (mean age, 28 ± 9.5 years) with high-functioning ASD (SRS-A raw score, 99 ± 17) were treated with memantine (mean dose, 19.7 ± 1.2 mg/d; range, 15-20 mg), and 17 (94%) completed the trial. Treatment with memantine was associated with significant reduction on informant-rated (SRS-A, -28 ± 25; P < 0.001) and clinician-rated (Clinical Global Impression-Improvement subscale ≤2, 83%) measures of autism severity. In addition, memantine treatment was associated with significant improvement in ADHD and anxiety symptom severity. Significant improvement was noted in nonverbal communication on the Diagnostic Analysis of Nonverbal Accuracy Scale test and in executive function per self-report (Behavior Rating Inventory of Executive Functioning-Adult Self-Report Global Executive Composite, -6 ± 8.8; P < 0.015) and neuropsychological assessments (Cambridge Neuropsychological Test Automated Battery). Memantine treatment was generally well tolerated and was not associated with any serious adverse events. Treatment with memantine appears to be beneficial for the treatment of ASD and associated psychopathology and cognitive dysfunction in intellectually capable adults. Future placebo-controlled trials are warranted.

Memantine has showed preliminary promise in alcohol, opioid and cocaine addictions [1]

Edited by Alchemica
  • Like 1

https://teamtlr.com/glutamatergics/11-memantine.html

Best priced stuff that is generally considered good quality.

I'm currently on week 3 of memantine course and feel pretty awesome.  I'm viewing people as genuinely friendly and without the intruding thoughts that they are just pretending.

Helps me not over think interactions.

• Like 4

I'm recommending this source as it was independently tested by ceretropic.com who are THE most reliable source of nootropics on the market and it was found to be 97% pure.   Ceretropic have their own memantine of a no doubt higher standard but double the price.  

Alldaychemist is also a source of cheap memantine but $25 shipping.

I'd encourage others to give it a go as for me at least it has been brilliant.

• Like 1

Hi stonewolf, big ceretropic fanboy here :)

how do you find this product for OCD, anxiety and depression? Would you recommend it for someone who just needed that little extra nudge? but can't rely on the lerts/hydra because of side effects, namely being anger, frustration and brain fog 24-48hrs after administration?

i know it's a big ask but just wondering your general views and sorry alchemica if this question throws your thread off.

Edited by theuserformallyknownasd00d

Guest dazza

this TLR company has a negative reputation.

Yes, they don't have a great rep but their memantine seems to be legit and they are by far the cheapest.

Sorry d00d but I don't know what you mean by lerts Hydra.  Afinils like modafinil hydrafinil?  

I've never had issues with ocd but it certainly does help with anxiety and depression in my particular case.  I just feel more comfortable with  a less active nmda system.  

I have also noticed an upregulation of dopamine after several weeks on it.  I have more energy and get the telltale feeling of pleasure that denotes high levels of dopamine after drinking coffee.  This isn't normal.  I typically get this feeling from stronger dopa agonists / reuptake inhibitors.  

The downside is that it takes a few weeks to adapt to during which you'll feel like a bit of a space cadet unless you titrate up slowly.  I jumped straight into 20mg a day bd ( 20mg split into 2 doses) .  I'd describe the feeling as 70mg dxm...everything is pretty normal and you can go about your business but you aren't in mint mental condition.  Things look mildly different and concepts are harder to grasp.  This does disappear after a week or two though at which point for me everything is just better while still feeling your sober self.

As far as giving you a nudge, ignoring that being a very ambiguous expression, i would say it does.  Since I've started taking it again I've gotten a new haircut that I never would have, joined a political party because I've always wanted to have a genuine say in policy, hopefully work my way up, and changed my masters program.

Not much else to add really.  Its a great compound for me personally and don't see any reason why others shouldn't give it a go.