The Corroboree
THP

What coir brand for bulk substrate?

Searched through here and Shroomery on Coir brands in Australia but couldn't find any definitive answers.

This was the most insightful thread http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33191&hl=coir stating that brunning coir blocks aren't so great/ideal and are hard to break up when pasteurizing/sterilizing with suggestion of using Richgro brand.

Wondering what you guys have used succesfully for your CVG substrate.

This is the best alternative I can see: http://www.petbarn.com.au/reptile/reptile-bedding-substrate/coco-fiber/kritters-krumble-bedding-fine-20-litres.html that fits the bill for coir. A lot of people advice to go for pet stores as there are no additives etc in the coir.

Only thing is this product isn't in a brick but I'm not sure if that's really an issue. Read a comment talking about why coir was so contam resistant due to the high pressures it goes through when being presesd into bricks.

Anyone able to share what coir products they've had success with?

I'm the one who didn't like Brunnings and prefers Richgro.

"Read a comment talking about why coir was so contam resistant due to the high pressures it goes through when being presesd into bricks."

Your comment that I quoted above doesn't sound right either. Coir isn't clean and it tends to have added trich. This is why people pasteurise it before use. If you don't pasteurise it properly then you're going to have a bad time.

• Like 1

only tried one that i imported from germany ..

but its really nice so far on plants it seems...

mainly used to avoid fkwits like sciariad fly and the mites that hitch-hike onnem

post-14443-0-06007500-1447874631_thumb.j

dnno if you get this brand there but if ya do , it's lovely so far...

tested first on pereskiopsis who adores it pure...

just testing it on banisteriopsis currently with not too much to write home about yet...

says tampon on it ... *shudders* x] no strings attached

i never thought of it mycologically though , nice one!

2015-11-18 19.18.54.jpg

2015-11-18 19.18.54.jpg

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ
  • Like 1

I think the whole washing your coir comes from dope dudes who are running very streamlined setups, some poor quality coir is rinsed in salt water etc during production so you wanna flush all that.

For putting into a potting mix @30% I've never had any issues with PH lockouts etc.

• Like 3

Something else to keep in mind it is a waste product and the conditions in which it is stored, transported and handled are generally very poor. Quality is bound to vary batch to batch, think of it as the floor sweepings of the potting mix world!

Some larger hydro industry producers of coir say there's isn't treated like what I mentioned above tho, so maybe $30+ for the 25L bag is a good deal if your into that stuff

• Like 2