The Corroboree
Geebus

mushroom growing in my vinegar!!!! wtf!!!

I dont know if this is the correct section tobpost this but its freaking me out. So guys I have a big 3L glass bottle with a cork that I keep my white vinegar in. I haven't used it in a few weeks. I noticed a white cloudiness a few weeks ago which I thought nothing of. Maybe some food particles got in there. Anyways fast forward a couple weeks I pull out the vinegar and lo and behold there's a fully formed, translucent white slimy mushroom floating around my vinegar!!!

I am baffled, what has happened here? Why is it there? What caused it to grow? Is my vinegar safe to use? Can I untilise the mushroom for anything or is it poisonous?

Please help!!!

Could be a vinegar "mother" - I don't know if these just spontaneously form in pasteurised vinegar (which I assume it is) though.

• Like 1

Could be a vinegar "mother" - I don't know if these just spontaneously form in pasteurised vinegar (which I assume it is) though.

What is a 'vinegar mother'?

I will post some pictures tonight when I can get on the computer. Phone can don't work.

It's a big blob of various microorganisms that you can use to grow your own vinegar from sugar-water. Maybe search for some pics & see if that's what yours looks like.

This has happened to me before too, but mine was just strings, not a solid mushroomy blob - I just sieved them out & used the vinegar, it was fine. They did grow back eventually though , I suspect you'd need to re-pasteurise the vinegar to get rid of them completely.

I googles some pics. Most of the pics show a flat or blob like mass. Mine is the shape of a mushroom however. So I'm still not quite sure. I'll get some pics happening later after work.

Would be cool to make some vinegar if it is indeed a mother.

• Like 1

I've got some spare kombucha scobys happening now - you can make vinegar using them too. If you're interested we can try to work out a way to post one.

^^^

Might it just be 'cause it's warming up now & so the batches are brewing quicker & turning to vinegar faster? I'm having the same issue with my kefir & I think I just need to check it earlier each time. The kombucha always tastes a bit vinegary to me anyway. But over winter it could take over a week for a batch to brew, now it's more like one or two days for the kefir, maybe four for the kombucha - and I haven't gotten used to checking them more often (& dealing with all the extra drank!) yet. A couple of particularly sour batches of kombucha I've just let run to vinegar though, it makes a nice apple-cider-vinegary product - if you started with apple juice it must work even better. If it turns out just a little bit too sour to be palatable I've tried diluting it - not as nice as a properly-brewed batch, but it can still work out ok, especially with other flavourings.

post-4677-0-62441900-1443147788_thumb.jppost-4677-0-75913200-1443147864_thumb.jppost-4677-0-27596400-1443147943_thumb.jp

Heres the pics, dunno if you can see but it has a definite cap, etc, all the features of a mushroom :) is this a vinegar mother?

post-4677-0-62441900-1443147788_thumb.jpg

post-4677-0-75913200-1443147864_thumb.jpg

post-4677-0-27596400-1443147943_thumb.jpg

post-4677-0-62441900-1443147788_thumb.jpg

post-4677-0-75913200-1443147864_thumb.jpg

post-4677-0-27596400-1443147943_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sweet! I will have a read and hopefully I can make some vinegar with her! cheers d00d!

Next time we trade mate remind me to throw ya in some kombucha and kefir water grains, I've been letting them go to vinegar and it's been just as effective as a cleaning product as purchased stuff. Maybe you'd have a nice mother going for me too by then ;) I'm keen on another wierd jar in the house ;)

Haha sweet bro very keen I'll keep you informed! :)

amazing fucking shit i reckon

thanks guys for this cool thread, i had no idea it could even exist.

I'm going to be honest, I can't see the mushroom. Just looks like bacterial/fungal contam to me.

• Like 1