The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Yeti101

Scop (Hulk) x 'Short-spined Peru'

Some years back I got some of seeds of this cross from the now (sadly) dormant Australian Free Seed Ring. (mentioned here http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19932&p=513962)

Initially my germination rates were excellent. I was growing them in one of those containers you that Coles used to sell 6 donuts in. (I have some photos of this stage, but the PC they are stored on is currently uncooperative.) Anyway, all was going well until I left this container out in the rain. It filled up with water, and because it was sitting on the ground, it stayed filled up. All the roots rotted off and all of the seedlings died - except 4. These 4 survived though their own toughness as I didn't have the skill to graft them on to peres at the time. The couldn't have been bigger than peas, but I let them dry out, sat them in some super-sandy mix and nurtured them until they threw new roots and started growing again.

2 of them have taken off. The other 2, less so. But all 4 of them are tough as tough can be, I reckon.

Anyhoo, here's a couple of pics of one of the larger one as I was re-potting it today.

gallery_25_244_190187.jpg

gallery_25_244_45899.jpg

Keen to see how these turn out when they are a bit bigger.

• Like 12

Well, at least you selected for good genes early on; this clone is gonna be tough tough guy.

Definitely looks like it'll grow to be chubby, too!

• Like 1

Hulkspring!!! so glad its a parent. originally when I was the noobiest noob I thought it was a HUGE pach and offered to "prune" it for my tafe teacher who was ecstatic a hort student had taken an interest in the spiky, weedy cactus garden. Not so happy was he when he saw that the scop was not in the best shape after my efforts to "let more sun" into the garden.

glad theres plenty of Hulk out there having sex!! awesome, was almost worth a crime of horticulture~

• Like 3

glad theres plenty of Hulk out there having sex!!

:worship::) Please consider a hand pollination this year.. All the 'hulk' hybrids from your heavenly garden !!! Now that's a grafting competition I'd like to participate in :rolleyes:B)

I gotta pull my finger out and pollinate properly with tags, prob is its flowering season when I'm working 15 hr days :( im personally hoping Eileen flowers this year so can do some crosses.

Hulk is THE BOMB grafting stock

Tag that shizz ;)

• Like 2

Tag that shizz ;)

Yeah, I've got quite a few things that are 'brigesoid' or 'peruvianiod' specimens :blush:. Luckily I only have one pach-like (PC, I think) and one scop-like thing, so no mix-ups there.

Need to get this cross to self-pollinate - now those seeds will be interesting.

Anyone done a Hulk x Super Pedro? That would be a beast of epic proportions!

• Like 1