The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Conv3rgence

What's wrong with this cactus and how to help him

post-16827-0-48866100-1440057335_thumb.j

Considering digging this up if i can save it and nurse it back to health. (With permission of course). I think it's a pachanoi but I could be wrong. What's the diagnosis? It's mid winter in Perth, had a fair amount of rain lately but also loads of warmth and sunshine. It was even 29degrees over the weekend.

Anyways, is this guy salvageable?

post-16827-0-48866100-1440057335_thumb.jpg

post-16827-0-48866100-1440057335_thumb.jpg

Edited by Conv3rgence

Hi Conv3rge, there is no diagnosis. :) It just needs fertilizer. Apart from that, it´s probably a totally healthy cactus. Probably lack of nitrogen.

• Like 1

I had this happen to me before (with most of my cacti). Like EG advised you, fertilizing on schedule will solve it.

You probably won't notice it on old growth, but the new growth will be green as can be.

So it would be better to nurse it back to health than take 2 cuttings and plant the stump in a pot or the ground? I'd heal the root ball for 2 weeks of course.

Yes, I wouldnt cut it at this point because the potential failure rate is a lot higher for weak cacti. Dig it out, repot and fertilize it until it get´s back to health. It will probably explode after that and put out more pups. That´s when you can take cuttings. I probably wouldnt cut this plant for at least one year. Maybe even more, depending on how fast it recovers. Some recover fast, some take longer.

• Like 1