The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
IceCube

WANTED: Acacia nodules

Hi guys,

Looking at propagating courtii and phleb but don't want to plant anything until I can inoculate the soil.

Have been doing some research into making a liquid inoculant for acacias as the main commercial product has been discontinued.

I have found a selective media that will only generate Bradyrhizobium and methods to liquid culture it, just need a sample.

Based off the phylogenetic tree, obtusifolia seems to be the best bet, as it's the most-related to phleb and courtii, however longifolia and maidenii are also OK.

While I wait for my lines of inquiry to culture collections to play out, I was wondering if anyone down south were able to dig around the base of an acacia and send me some samples of the nodules. Literally any species will do, as the rhizobia are very general in their selections.

Person to do it gets the first batch of the liquid inoculant which should be able to do thousands of seeds with a few mL (so we can share it around easy :D:D).

Cheers

Taylor

Edited by IceCube
  • Like 2

Thank you. Will make a thread in Australian Natives with results once I get replies from the culture collections etc :)