The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
DiscoStu

reusing seedling mix

oy do youse reuse your seedling mixes after potting up?

what shouold I do to existing mix to reuse it most effectively?

I throw it back into the compost pile and recycle!

CompostMix.jpg

• Like 4

nice pile.....

AZs probably the better method, I always reuse. When seeds or plants fail, I just put new seedlings into the same pot/mix....just incase the dead plant shoots from the roots...or some seed decides to finally sprout. (probably not best practice)

• Like 1

i throw all my used dirt in the compost, but can i just take out the seedlings and use whats in the takeaway as is?

Short answer is yes but not indefinitely, growth rate and health will eventually be affected.

Even if you don't have a decent compost pile you can still keep a big pot with your used soil and throw in a bit of manure or peat to bump up the organic matter for reuse.

Usually. Only no if I notice a certain fungus that tends to take over the soil and effectively kills a plant, or if I notice those puny glassy nonbeneficial nematodes that feed on roots.

The pluses of recycling is that not all seeds usually germinate, and so I've been amazed that even after several years a seemingly used up pot of soil can with just a little disturbance result in new germinations as once buried seeds see the light. Of course that results in a few mystery plants from time to time, but I love it :)