The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Beaker

Cool things in Byron...

I am visiting Byron Bay in Jan... (for the first time)

So I don't miss anything... what are the MUST DO's ???

Cheers

Beaker.

man, as far as i was concerned the only reason for Byron to be where it is, is the beach & the beautiful surf---i know shit about surfing, but i spent 3 ov the most fun hours ever with a body board there. it was my first time & i only came out after 3 hours 'cus the other folks i was with wanted to go.

don't forget to use plenty ov sunscreen, especially ON YOUR BACK--like i did

Beaker

If you surf you will have fun at Byron. There are lots of options for varying wind directions and you can usually find a break that is offshore no matter what the wind is doing. January is going to be very crowded though so be prepared for heaps of surfers in the water. Some good consistent spots to check out for surf are Tallows and Broken Head for beach breaks and if you dont mind a bit of a drive down to Ballina there is the breakwall at the rivermouth which has consistent A-frame peaks and can be very good and numerous other breaks on the way.

I usually visit Byron for 3 weeks or so every year and can never get enough of the place. I have never been in January though (usually go in Winter) but have heard it gets very crowded with big traffic jams in the main street etc. There is plenty do there apart from surfing, great rainforests, friendly people, good fishing off the beaches, snorkelling or scuba dving out at Julian Rocks etc. Also check out the local sunday markets which are worth a visit.

Enjoy.

oh how could i forget the food :D

if you're into veggie wholefoods @ tourist prices there's loads ov great stuff to choose from--my fave--scrambled tofu...yum.

also a drink on the lawn outside the pub owned by paul hogan is a great way to see who's about & possibly find some bud(die)s

I would seriously recommend the Detox Lounge near Woolworths. You can get a Colonic irrigation for $80-$90 and the chick actually massages your abdomen while you evacuate, ridding your body of literally years and years of impacted fecal matter. It will leave you feeling refreshed and renewed for your stay in Byron. Quite seriously it should be your first stop.

Detox Lounge

120 Johnson St

Byron Bay

Also there is a place not far from there (name escapes me) where you can book a float tank. If you rail about 150mg of ketamine and jump in the tank your sure to have a fucking amazing experience with no sensory interference.

The rest of Byron isn't really that special. The beach hotel have some really nice meals and good beers. If I were you i'd be heading from Byron over to mullumbimby (which is fucken awesome). Then head over to Nimbin. I recommend the Kiva Spa around the corner from Santos Health Foods in Mullumbimby, as well as Ponciana's Restaurant and in nimbin I recommend you venture down the alleyway around the corner from the museum

CS

Guest electro

mmm detoxing & floating in tanks ....

lols

Anyone know if they are having any doofs up there on nye ? if not, how much entertainment will be able to be extracted from the street festivals ive heard occur?

streetfestical has become pretty crap. very expensive and all areas closed. kinda not really a street festival anymore.

we are not sure what we'll do for NYE, but I don't think it will be Byron. We might sit on the moutain in Mullum and watch the fireworks in the 5 surrounding towns, while getting inebriated. With the number of people who have shown interest in that idea it might turn out a nice little partee

There are usually 1 or 2 doofs in NYE in the hills or on the beach somewhere. last year was OK, the year before was atrocious and the year before that was downright scary (we went to the wrong one ). The big 'local' ( @ emu creek) festival isn't till the 10th or so.

I made a thread about this a year ago and Ive finally taken the plunge. Me and a friend are moving down to byron!

Im keeping my fingers crossed I wont have too many hassles finding a place to share/lease. But my friend isnt coming till late feb so Ill have to work out something for him.

Is it easy to get a job in byron? Or will I have to look for surrounding suburbs like aville and ballina?

Edited by loaded

Reality Check!!!

Byron and surrounds is very nice and its a great area to live, but there are a few things you should know before taking the plunge.

Im keeping my fingers crossed I wont have too many hassles finding a place to share/lease.

This time of year almost impossible. Many Byronites move out of their houses and into the hinterland for the next 2 months as they can earn more than a year's normal rent over this period. Normal crappy houses can cost well over a grand per week. The only way to get normal rent is to sign a 6 or 12 months lease (indicates you're not just popping down for the holidays).

Everyone who has a spare room also has 'friends' who want to come and stay. And most kids who've just left Uni and decided to bum around byron for a while have already checked the place out and have connections. Accommodation in byron? - you'd have to be very lucky or very rich.

The exodus from Byron itself means there is quite a bit of population pressure on the surrounding towns as well, especially the hills. And as the whole area is a tourist mecca you will find most places chockers.

But my friend isnt coming till late feb so Ill have to work out something for him.

So you are looking for short term accomm just like thousands of other people.

Get yourself the local Papers (Byron Echo and Byron News) and check the notice boards in any town you are considering.

I would like to know how does one become informed of doof events and such being put on by the locals? Is there like a classified board or some sort of place where everyone goes to congregate?

I usually get it through the grapevine (although less so as I am not going to most of them), but I am sure there are a few places where you can ask. I am guessing here as most of the places I knew previously have changed hands in the last couple of years. In Byron I would ask at soundwaves, check the flyers, or hang out around C-moog. In Mullum just ask any feral or pop into the spacetribe shop. In Lismore ask at Music Bizarre. In Nimbin, ask anyone sitting around outside.

If you're having problems getting into the loop let me know once you are here and we'll get you in touch. Or just head out to the big party at Emu Creek on about the 10th of Jan and meet lots of the crowd there.

It would be cool to get a car pool thing happening or something for a perfect circle and advenjah etc

Life without a car in this area is difficult. It especially limits accommodation options.

Is it easy to get a job in byron? Or will I have to look for surrounding suburbs like aville and ballina?

Hospitality jobs in Byron are easy at this time of year if you are willing to work for less than backpackers. More stable jobs are a different story. This area is one of the highest unemployment areas in NSW and if you are moving from a higher employment area then you can't get the dole for 12 weeks. What sort of work are you qualified for and what are you looking for?

hmmm I dont have much in terms of qualifications though I have some past experience and history in hospitality and retail. And sort of opeing will do me - be it part time and casual.

Edited by loaded

Having a friend in the bay itself will help immensely. I don't spend much time there and don't know many people there - most of our friends are in the surrounding area.

Mullumbimby is a very nice place, which is why we moved here. In my opinion the only town where hippies and rednecks co-exists in almost perfect harmony. They know that they rely on each other and both are fully integrated into everyday town life. Any of the hill areas around mullum are great too.

Lennox is great, but very expensive. Ballina is the pits. bangalow is nice, but not a lot to rent and very expensive. Rosebank village is a little further into the hills, but very nice. Ocean Shores is pretty much like city suburbia. Brunswick is a little conservative, but a nice town to live in. Billinudgel is a farming area and also very nice.

Check out estate agents in bangalow, mullum , brunswick and ocean shores (the latter mostly for billinudgel listings).

The local papers will also help. And there are lots of noticeboards.

I think edgecore does most of their small events at their base in the arts & industry estate.

Hey.. thanks for the replies!

Some great info there.. esp the search clues .. cheers..

anyhoo... not long now... 17th Jan.. pretty excited as I haven't had a holiday in a long time.

I reckon I need the evac too... never had one before.. I would imagine it to be quite

I might give it a go... (after meeting with SEVERAL bud(dies))

Thanks again

Cheers

Beaker