The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
doxneed2c-me

Pereskiopsis Rooting

How come sometimes you can just shove pereskiopsis in the ground and they root and other times they decided to be stubborn and not root fast enough to keep their leaves from shriveling so you have to toss them in water.

• Like 1

when leaves shrivel, if you catch it early and mist them they can rehydrate sometimes... I think its a matter of moisture and temps especially when rooting in soil.. i root most pere cuttings now in Kelp water in a cup and they never ever lose leaves other than the occasional bottom leaves when they are completely shaded... larget cutting seem to be more likely to drop leaves or at least require misting but 6" cutting and less don't ever give me any fuss..

the first year I raised pere all of the first cuttings dropped leaves and I thought it was a regular thing but it never happened at all when I started planting immediately after cutting and keeping the soil moist.. I think the hormones in kelp make them root a little faster too... i've been throwing the little offset tips I pinch off the grafts into empty pots and it seems like most of them root and grow... it is a much warmer climate here tho

Edited by Optimystic
  • Like 1

How come sometimes you can just shove pereskiopsis in the ground and they root and other times they decided to be stubborn and not root fast enough to keep their leaves from shriveling so you have to toss them in water.

Perhaps you are shoving the very tip where it is full of new growth and other lovely hormones that help it root fast.

Well that was my experience anyway